Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2011, 05:26   #1

Boat: 1936 Rhodes Ketch, 46'
Stains On a Dacron Awning

We have just found the awning for a boat we bought, and it has some small stains - one or two appear to be rust, plus there are some other stains from who knows what? The awning has been cleaned by a sail lift, and was neatly packed away by said loft, so I'm suspecting that they used whatever high tech stuff they have. I'd like to see if I could get the rust stains out w/o trashing the fabric, but everything I've read about various cleaners is that they are acidic and degrade the Dacron. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!
Jen
Old 19-08-2011, 05:33   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Satins on a Dacron awning

I have had good luck removing stains from sails and sail covers/bimini's etc. using "Wink". It is an inexpensive mild acid based product that you should be able to find in the cleaning products section of Publix and/or Ace Hardware. Don't use bleach. It is an Oxidizer and may, in fact, worsen some stains and will have an adverse effect on many fabrics although Sunbrella seems to tolerate the material better than most.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 07:40   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I second Whink. It is designed to remove rust stains from fabric. It is also great to remove rust stains from fiberglass where stainless screws have bled a little. It is hydrofloric acid and you shouldn't get it on window glass as it can etch it.
Old 19-08-2011, 08:34   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I second Whink. It is designed to remove rust stains from fabric. It is also great to remove rust stains from fiberglass where stainless screws have bled a little. It is hydrofloric acid and you shouldn't get it on window glass as it can etch it.
I was curious, so tried to find the Whink website for more info. Seems to be down for now...

But, if this stuff is indeed Hydrofluoric acid based, be REALLY careful with it. HF is extremely corrosive to flesh (and many other things as well) Deadly stuff if very concentrated.

But, in general, Dacron is resistant to acid attack. Same chemistry as polyester resin... the stuff that most FG boats are made with. If the awning is really Dacron (not often used for awnings due to its susceptibility to UV damage), one of the Oxalic or Phosphoric acid based cleaners might be a bit gentler and will deal with rust stains quite well.

Good luck with your cleaning.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-08-2011, 12:41   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Satins On a Dacron Awning

I have a bottle of Whink in my hand. The label says" Quickly & Easily Removes Rust Stains!" "Colorfast Fabrics and Carpet". They warn you to wear rubber gloves but being tough and stupid I often work without gloves. I just rinse it off when it starts to sting. It does contain Hydrofluoric acid but I think it must be pretty diluted. It will take the shine off polished stainless steel but it is great at removing rust stains from fiberglass. You should find it at any GOOD marine store, hardware store or grocery store.
Old 19-08-2011, 14:44   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

FWIW Wink seems to be one of the only things I have found that will get red wine stains and/or blood stains out of Shirts/carpet. Lord knows whenever I undertake any job on the yacht, I seem to end up bleeding from somewhere or another so we've used a fair amount of Wink over the years to good advantage.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 14:48   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

HyLyte, thanks for the tip on wine and blood stains. They often occur at the same time!