Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2007, 21:17   #1

Boat: Hartley, Fijiian, 50ft,Seawind
Send a message via Yahoo to seawind_hazzie
pirate Stainless Steel Versus Spectra rope

Hi,
Can I replace my galvanised shrouds with the same size spectra rope and still retain the s/s turnbuckles. I have been told that spectra rope is every bit as strong as its equivalent size in stainless steel but much easier to handle [ more user friendly so to speak] on the surface it appears feasable but what of the Technical side of the equation..can anyone give me some feed back on my querie.

Cheers
Harry
seawind_hazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 23:09   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The problem being is when the rope is under tention, and it gets hit with a sharp object, it'll start to part.

The stuff is fine in a protected area, like the inside of a boom/mast, but I wouldn't trust the stuff out in the open where objects will come in contact with it. Even a sheet being dragged across it while under tention could burn the outer weave................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 00:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Spectra and many other exotic fibres are used in racing boats. But it does not last anywhere near as long. So depending what your boat is, as in if it's a cruiser or full on racer, will determin if going a fibre is the best choice for you. So that brings the question of, what boat do you have and what is the main activity you do with it???

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 00:31   #4

Boat: Trismus 37
I have changed from stainless steel to dyneema for both my centre board cables. The SS became like a hedgehog in no time at all and I think that galvanised would have been similar. The dyneema is supposed to be good for up to 10 years, so I'll probably change it after 5 to be on the safe side.
There is a large yacht out of Nelson that had all of its standing rigging replaced with dyneema. We were moored next to it in February in Houhora, it was circumnavigating the North Island as a shake down cruise after a major refit. Unfortunately I can't remember its name. But I believe the refit was done by a major shipyard in Nelson.
steve.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope