Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 09:12   #1

Boat: 1979 Pearson 32
StackPack and Weight Considerations for Racing Purposes

Hi All -

I've been lusting to replace my 10+ year old blown out main since I bought my boat at the beginning of the year (the rest of the sail wardrobe is very good). 90% of my sail purpose at this point is racing, although I do hope to do more cruising in the future, but racing will still probably be the reason I sail most of the time.

I have found a doyle loft that has a brand new main, built for a sister-ship in 2009 but not taken by the customer, and according to them there is nothing wrong except they made it from the wrong material for that customers order (he wanted laminate). It is unfinished (no numbers, battens, boxes) and has an integral doyle stackpak/lazy jacks. It is 8 oz dacron, full battens.

I like the idea of the stack pak for cruising, but does anyone think I should keep it if my primary purpose is racing? Right now I can raise and lower sails single handed without much trouble, and from what I understand full battens will make that even easier. So I don't really have a sail handling problem as of now.

Also, is 8 oz dacron to heavy if my primary purpose is racing?

There's no question this sail being new will be a big upwind and light air boost to my performance, but would I be better buying the sail I want and spending more? They are offering it finished (boxes, battens, numbers etc..) for $950.00

Appreciate your input - thanks!

Sandy
sandycohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:52   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: stack pak and weight considerations for racing purposes?

If you current sail is blown out isn't the new sail going to be faster regardless?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:42   #3

Boat: Moody 42
If your boat is over 25' that sounds Luke a really good deL you don't have to use the stack pack. 8 iz is light for coastal but ok fir light air.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:44   #4

Boat: 1979 Pearson 32
Re: StackPack and Weight Considerations for Racing Purposes

Actually its 32'
sandycohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:13   #5

Go For it Sandy just roll the stackPak down and lash to the boom when racing. At that price you can hardly lose. though i do think 8 oz is heavy for a 32' boat a racer would be using something about 7 oz.
Multitalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 13:37   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I don't like stack packs, They look like crap unless you lash them to the boom when the sail is hoisted. The lazy jacks are permanently deployed and will hook the battens unless the boat is dead into the wind when raising the sail. They don't seem to save much time over straight lazy jacks and a sail cover in actual use IMHO.

You say you are a racer. Why wouldn't you go with a laminate sail?? They are way better sails for racing with their lighter weight and molded in shape. They would actually be better for cruising if they had better UV resistance because thaey are so much easier to handle. 8oz cloth is a cruising weight cloth that won't be optimum for shape control of a racing sail but should last a looonnngg time.

Having said the above, it's a heck of a deal. My dacron full batten cruising main without stackpack cost me over $3,000. I'd buy it to use for cruising and still buy a laminate main for racing. Having the two sails would greatly extend the useful life of both of them. If you do go with that sail as your only sail, might want to remove the lower full battens and replace with regular battens, if possible. You have a wider range of ability to shape the sail with standard battens.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 16:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I don't like stack packs, They look like crap unless you lash them to the boom when the sail is hoisted. The lazy jacks are permanently deployed and will hook the battens unless the boat is dead into the wind when raising the sail. They don't seem to save much time over straight lazy jacks and a sail cover in actual use IMHO.
+1

They also interfere with the ability to see to the foot of the sail, making ir difficult to view outhaul tension, cunningham tension and the position of the tack and clew in single line reefing systems.

They collective water when you least want them to. As well the zippers just add more thing to go wrong.

I like lazy jacks that are stowable near the goose neck and a simple sail cover. Yes, you will need sail ties.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote