Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2015, 16:17   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Sta-Lok terminal assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedolphins View Post
Where can I get stay lock in the Republic of Panama?
Is anybody out there?
Marine Warehouse is your best bet. They handle yacht-in-transit importation (only 2% duty IIRC) and low shipping costs.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 16:24   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Marine Warehouse is your best bet. They handle yacht-in-transit importation (only 2% duty IIRC) and low shipping costs.
ok thanks
some of the swedged stuff cracked
bluedolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 17:19   #33

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
Check out the latest Practical Sailor and look at Brion Toss's article. He mentions that it is important to fill the fitting with something like 3M 4000, and that this is not typically in the instructions that come with the fitting.

Brion writes:
"This prevents the intrusion of both air and water, so that the
terminal will not suffer from either crevice corrosion,
oxidation, or chloride corrosion."

I suspect that Locktite in this case is just another anti-seize, anti-gall, anti-corrosion (take your pick) application. I use it, but I suspect Loctite's biggest benefit is that it makes me feel safer than an anti-seize goop because I imagine the anti-seize goop might come undone.

Toaster

Toaster
Loctite is a well proven anaerobic sealant. It has secondary benefits to minimise galling but its primary role is as a thread locker.

Brian Toss's advice to fill the voids with a sealant is intended to ensure there is no internal void where sea water can collect. It's an excellent suggestion andnwhat we follow.

You will still need to put something on the threads to avoid galling. Never assemble stainless threads dry. Anti seize or loctite will work just ensure you use a suitable antiseize.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 17:24   #34

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooGroc View Post
I re-rigged my boat with sta-loc's this winter. They did come with some very light coating on the threads. I bet it is something to prevent galling. I didn't make any effort to remove it before adding lock tight.

I also didn't add any caulking or silicone. The instructions didn't say to add it and I understand SS off is best when exposed to air.
Unfortunately the stainless inside the stalok does not breath. Any moisture entering will then become stagnant. 3xx stainless will experience crevice corrosion when subject to stagnant moisture.

Brian Toss's advice is worth following.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote