Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 08:30   #31

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Re: Square top main sheet loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
Hi TJ,

Got down to the boat today. Here is a photo of my Open 50 setup. Looks like the high load Harken coupler. I'm guessing there's your answer.

Cheers,

Mal
TJ, Mal's photo has off the shelf Harken parts, that would be readily available. Attached is a custom Harken traveler for other ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0610.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	137339  
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 18:29   #32

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

TJ, Fisheries has the Harken T3201B.HL, and the Harken 752 connector for $363ea and $286 respectively (wholesale acct).

I can speak with the guys at CSR (they did plenty of work on S/V RS) to make sure those parts will work for you if you so request.

Fisheries ships anywhere.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 18:38   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I have a harken 580 link piece if you need it.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:41   #34

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
TJ, Fisheries has the Harken T3201B.HL, and the Harken 752 connector for $363ea and $286 respectively (wholesale acct).

I can speak with the guys at CSR (they did plenty of work on S/V RS) to make sure those parts will work for you if you so request.

Fisheries ships anywhere.
Thanks.

Harken's well represented in England, so I can just go down to the local rigging shop and get everything coming. Plus, with the Brexit, things tend to actually be a little cheaper over there. Who knew?

I appreciate the help from you guys.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:29   #35

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I have interest in seeing this full roach main, or roachie beast...have pictures or drawings, please?
Which sailcloth is being used?

:-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:39   #36

First thing I did when I got our boat was to get rid of the wheel and install a filler. Second thing I did was get rid of the cabin-top traveler and move the main sheet to the cockpit where it belongs. This included moving the attachment for the main sheet to the end of the boom where it belongs.

Why would you bother with a big ass square top and some half assed mid-boom cabin-top sheeting arrangement? Seems F'd up like a football bat.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 14:28   #37

Boat: Tartan 37

With a second car, I was wondering if you could another purchase or two to the mainsail sheet. I was able to do that and found it working well. To straightening the leach, maybe use more vang.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 15:56   #38

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Sorry to muddy the water but as your boom is mid sheeted .is it up to the job of the new sail Or will you be "forced" to get a really cooling carbon job
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 02:30   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
Sorry to muddy the water but as your boom is mid sheeted .is it up to the job of the new sail Or will you be "forced" to get a really cooling carbon job

Mr. Slater, I was scrolling around, and saw some responses here.

We'll definitely get a carbon sail. We're using carbon/technora laminates now, and they are really the way to go, once you get over the sticker shock!
Old 15-12-2016, 02:34   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
I have interest in seeing this full roach main, or roachie beast...have pictures or drawings, please?
Which sailcloth is being used?

:-)
Hello, Thunderbird, here's a rig plan.

We use Quantum Fusion working sails. IIRC, we're 60% carbon, 40% Technora. We've got about 14000 miles on the sails, and except for some chafe in the taffeta here and there, they are as new still. Really good kit.

TJ
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 55 Refit Sailplan.pdf (203.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 15-12-2016, 02:42   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
First thing I did when I got our boat was to get rid of the wheel and install a filler. Second thing I did was get rid of the cabin-top traveler and move the main sheet to the cockpit where it belongs. This included moving the attachment for the main sheet to the end of the boom where it belongs.

Why would you bother with a big ass square top and some half assed mid-boom cabin-top sheeting arrangement? Seems F'd up like a football bat.
Hi Delancey,

Attached is a picture of our football bat. That's a phrase I haven't heard before, and will try to find ways to include it in conversation when I can. I like it.

As you can see, moving the traveler is not really an option. Anyway, the boat has been sailed easily 50,000 ocean miles with this setup, it's really not f'd up.

Would I prefer end-boom sheeting? Yes. Is it worth completely rebuilding the deck? Not a chance. She works very well as designed, our crushed (very old) traveler balls notwithstanding...

Thanks for the input, though.

TJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0119.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	138043  
Old 15-12-2016, 04:10   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
As you can see, moving the traveler is not really an option. Anyway, the boat has been sailed easily 50,000 ocean miles with this setup, it's really not f'd up.
Yes, your existing set up looks very nice. I never said it looked f'd up like a football bat did I? I was talking about what you were proposing wasn't I?

Anyhell, you are completely missing the point myself and admiralslater are making. He doesn't care if you get carbon sails. He wonders if you will be "forced" to get a new carbon fiber boom. Think about it for a minute.
Old 15-12-2016, 04:28   #43

Riptide 55

Well, certainly a creative design. I'll give it that.

I see it was designed with a pretty roachy mainsail to begin with. Since the rig has no boom vang and you are already having problems with the "balls" in the traveler cars how do you think adding a square top will make anything better?

Suggest you bounce your ideas off of the original designer as a starting point for your modifications.
Old 15-12-2016, 04:46   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Yes, your existing set up looks very nice. I never said it looked f'd up like a football bat did I? I was talking about what you were proposing wasn't I?

Anyhell, you are completely missing the point myself and admiralslater are making. He doesn't care if you get carbon sails. He wonders if you will be "forced" to get a new carbon fiber boom. Think about it for a minute.
Oh, I see. The boom's already carbon anyway. I did mis-read the post. Really, all I was trying to determine was whether or not the square top mains require substantially more sheet tension that what we're using now with the current main. I'm not looking at a square top main to solve any problems. I'm looking for better performance. The traveler balls were close to 10 years old, and I've learned here that they should have been replaced sooner.

Bieker's pretty busy designing hydrofoils these days. I try not to bug him about this kind of thing.

Thanks, TJ
Old 15-12-2016, 04:54   #45

Oh, I'm pretty sure he won't mind. It's a boat with his name on it that has a problem.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't his design intent that the Torlon ball bearings in your main sheet traveller cars would get crushed. That's not wear and tear. That's excessive loading.

You are proposing making that situation worse by adding the square top.

Tags
loa