Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 06:18   #1

Spreader patches....

I returned my jib for repair after being torn on my upper spreader and requested again they install spreader patches. This time they did it, but the fabric just looks like some thin adhesive backed taffetta.

With my blade jib and 180 degree rotating mast, contact is inevitable. When beating, the spreader tips is well inside the radius of the sail.

Is there an industrial strength spreader patch cloth that I can sew on in these areas?
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 07:43   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Spreader patches....

most people and sailmakers use sticky back sail cloth.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 07:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
most people and sailmakers use sticky back sail cloth.
Yeah - that is what this looks like. I said taffetta, but maybe dacron is more accurate. Perhaps it will be better than the mylar sail (more slippery?)

I was thinking something like "top gun."

Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969

All four patches would only be square feet....
Old 20-06-2017, 08:11   #4

I hate that sticky backed stuff. If rubbing there it starts to roll back and the goo is still left. I assume you are saying it's not even sewed on? If so, you need a real sailmaker.
How have you done your spreader ends? I liked to use the grey sailmaker leather on the spreader ends.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 08:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I hate that sticky backed stuff. If rubbing there it starts to roll back and the goo is still left. I assume you are saying it's not even sewed on? If so, you need a real sailmaker.
How have you done your spreader ends? I liked to use the grey sailmaker leather on the spreader ends.
Good Point Cheechako. They are painted spruce and pretty smooth, though you're right - some attention might be required there. Dropping the mast is a PITA, so I figured I would wait until fall.
Old 20-06-2017, 09:55   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

one tried and true solution is learn to make and install baggywrinkles.
found in ashleys book of knots and other traditionalist resources.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 13:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
one tried and true solution is learn to make and install baggywrinkles.
found in ashleys book of knots and other traditionalist resources.
Were but I sailing a big old full keel double ender, I would learn that art.

But alas, we drill holes in our toothbrush handles to save weight!

20 pounds of sopping wet baggy in the rigging would confuse everyone who saw it! Are those dead ground hogs? How did they get up there?

Old 20-06-2017, 13:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

At North's recommendation, we put very thin sheet of UHMWPE with psa backing under the Dacron sticky back. Protects the sail very well.

Alternately you could put on patches of decently heavy spectra cloth.

For the mainsail patches we did both - the spectra cloth over the UHMW sheet.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 16:51   #9

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Our sailmaker used Top Gun and it has been very successful

Cheeers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 17:08   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Our sailmaker, Steve Walker of Tasmania uses patches which are some 12 inches in diameter, sticky back dacron with a ~ 8 inch diameter kevlar patch in the center. I don't know if he buys them ready made or makes them up himself. So far (2 years, ~8000 miles) no sign of wear from our sweptback spreaders.

Jim
Old 20-06-2017, 17:26   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The reason for sticky back spreader patches may be due to the sail's being constructed of structural fibers sandwiched between layers of film. And in your case the film may be svelte enough that sewing could actually weaken things. Ask'em. Ditto about having'em glue on something more substantial. Or if it's okay to add a 2nd layer of spreader patch material overtop of the 1st, whether you do it, or they do.

One catch to thicker patches is going to be that the sail will be appreciably stiffer where they are, & in the vicinity of their edges. And also that if they're really strong, they may create stress risers. So they may affect sail shape, & trimming if they're overly beefy.

Which, in the past 5200 (Fast Cure) has been used to add patches (in general), albeit on heavier weight laminated sails. But even then it can make things stiffer, so you have to really work to get everything well smoothed out prior to it's setting. So that the patch & the sail mate up 100% in terms of shape.
Oh, & ask to ensure 5200 is okay on your sail, if you plan to use it. One never knows the chemistry of how some things will or won't play well together anymore. Meaning glues & sails.

I second the UHMWPE idea, though I'd be tempted to put it on the spreader ends first. If you can manage it that is, given it's nature. But given that your spreaders are wooden, you can probably figure out a way to mechanically fasten it in place if nothing else.

Also, FWIW, many cruising laminates are built in layers, specifically: Taffeta, Mylar, String/Threads, Mylar, Taffeta. So the recommended patches kind of make sense. Especially given the longevity that Taffeta adds to otherwise quite fragile sails. Look at the lifespan of a cruising sail made with the stuff vs. a racing sail without it. Though, yes, it is hot glued on as part of the sail, when the sail is being made, vs. peel & stick.

There have been some great sail repair articles in most of the sailing magazines out there, over the years. Some of them due specifically to owners being unsure about how to patch laminated sails as part of repairing them. And you can find a good number of them online, & or, by going to the magazine's website, & using their search function to dig up info.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 01:52   #12

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

There are rollers that snap on to the shroud and prevent the sail from touching the spreader.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 03:58   #13

I made a set of rollers for the shrouds.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 05:18   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450S

On my 450S both the top and bottom broke. I take in the genoa if i tack for sure. There are no marks or scars on my sail showing that i have put pressure on the rollers. Of course lagoon said abuse. But i am at a loss...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170509_113330.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	150425  
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 07:48   #15

Are rollers fine with SK-75 shrouds? Or will I need some sort of bearing surface to protect them?