Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 13:31   #16

Re: Spreader Boot Failure?

Thanks again everyone.

Good to know that it is not a rigging issue.

The previous owner of the boat threw in a nice brand new bosn's chair with the boat when I bought it. Not looking forward to going up there.... but it's part of the deal if you want to sail.

HappyMdRSailor Seen too many of my stink pot owner friends being towed in for "self inflicted" reasons. I was always pretty anal about making sure everything was tight, even in my skiff days. I never wanted to be "that guy"

Liunatic Grats on the boat! I have had mine a little over 2 months now and doubt that I will ever look back. I bought in dirt cheap at 1k. The previous owner threw in at least 2K worth of goodies to go with it, then insisted on buying me new batteries after the deal. She doesn't look like much, but is pretty solid and dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG952538.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	90061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG957570.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	90062  

Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 14:06   #17

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Your boat looks VERY similar to mine. In fact.. from the photos you posted, the only difference I can see is the bimini, and the placement of the motor on the back. I don't know what year yours is... My O'day is an '83... we paid $3000 for her.. and it is a great boat. Your's looks in very good condition as well..

so, good for you!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 15:32   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IF you find that the boat is too tender when you are going up the mast (ie, begins to heel excessively for your comfort) you could consider tying the mast off to adjacent fingers (here assuming that you are in a marina berth) to limit heel angle. Easy if you have enough halyards... but adding a line tied to the mast at the spreaders would help if you need to go all the way to the masthead.

Anyhow, you are correct in thinking that it is really a good skill to learn if you intend serious sailing in the future. I don't like heights, but have learned to tolerate mast work, and have spent many an uncomfortable hour aloft.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-10-2014, 15:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Your boat looks VERY similar to mine. In fact.. from the photos you posted, the only difference I can see is the bimini, and the placement of the motor on the back. I don't know what year yours is... My O'day is an '83... we paid $3000 for her.. and it is a great boat. Your's looks in very good condition as well..

so, good for you!

She is a Islander 26' Scarlet. There where only 17 built. Pretty wide beam at 10' It is the widest 26' I have seen so far. She has a lot of little cosmetic issues that come naturally with time, but pretty solid overall. Ready to sail......but attention to detail required.
Old 20-10-2014, 15:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IF you find that the boat is too tender when you are going up the mast (ie, begins to heel excessively for your comfort) you could consider tying the mast off to adjacent fingers (here assuming that you are in a marina berth) to limit heel angle. Easy if you have enough halyards... but adding a line tied to the mast at the spreaders would help if you need to go all the way to the masthead.

Anyhow, you are correct in thinking that it is really a good skill to learn if you intend serious sailing in the future. I don't like heights, but have learned to tolerate mast work, and have spent many an uncomfortable hour aloft.

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Jim....

I have already considered tying the mast off to a finger pier to limit heeling. I am looking at different procedures for climbing, and what would look like the most comfortable.
Old 20-10-2014, 16:34   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post
Thanks again everyone.

Good to know that it is not a rigging issue.

The previous owner of the boat threw in a nice brand new bosn's chair with the boat when I bought it. Not looking forward to going up there.... but it's part of the deal if you want to sail.

HappyMdRSailor Seen too many of my stink pot owner friends being towed in for "self inflicted" reasons. I was always pretty anal about making sure everything was tight, even in my skiff days. I never wanted to be "that guy"

Snipe... Let me tell ya somethin' ... You let your buddies give you your good natured teasing... But you are "that guy" that I would want to be on a boat with... I'd be just as content to skip or crew

Liunatic Grats on the boat! I have had mine a little over 2 months now and doubt that I will ever look back. I bought in dirt cheap at 1k. The previous owner threw in at least 2K worth of goodies to go with it, then insisted on buying me new batteries after the deal. She doesn't look like much, but is pretty solid and dry.
Oh man... these are the deals I simply love to hear... Somebody who is so passionate about sharing and helping as much as the passion of the new owner... It may have been a ten $100 bill transaction... But the story, experiences, and memories to come are priceless... I promise you when the time comes... You will be incapable of repeating the generosity...

Quote:
She is a Islander 26' Scarlet. There where only 17 built. Pretty wide beam at 10' It is the widest 26' I have seen so far. She has a lot of little cosmetic issues that come naturally with time, but pretty solid overall. Ready to sail......but attention to detail required.
17? Whouda thunk? I'm familiar with the bazzillion different models, and it sure seems like they made a ton of 30's!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 17:23   #22

Boat: csy 37

I put a long tear in a big genoa due to a spreader tip boot that disappeared (in the Bermuda Triangle!). But my spreader ends were strangely oversized and no store bought tips were big enough. So I fashioned tip caps out of PVC pipe caps. Four years on and they're still there.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 21:02   #23

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Quote:
I made a up a pre-underway checklist about 4 weeks ago. Even though the boat has only been underway a few times, I still sit in the cockpit and go over it every few days. A couple of my buddies tease me about it (good naturedly).

I was going over my list yesterday before taking her out and noticed the port side spreader boot splayed open. The marina was a ghost town yesterday afternoon, (football) so I didn't have anyone to bounce this question off of.

Is this a serious condition? I have no idea if it supports the wire, or is just a cover. Google didn't tell me very much when I checked this.

Sorry for all the "newbie" type questions folks.

V/R........... John

John glad you have a check list - don't let others put you off it is better to check items regularly than forget some item at a crucial moment.

Our spreader boots do in fact position our stays in a grove in the spreaders and I have made several sets now by shaping leather and sewing in situ. I often get criticised by other females for sitting up there in the bosun chair as lots consider the mast maintenance a blue job. However, my Captain and I are a team and maintenance is done together - after all we both live aboard.

Cheers sue.
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote