Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 09:15   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Splicing Dual braid Dyneema STS WR2

Is splicing dual braid dyneema like the New england ropes STS WR2 any different then splicing regular halyard line, like the Samson polyester dual braid.
Im replacing a babystay (1/4" 1x19 wire) with 7mm dyneema STS WR2.
I was just going to splice an eye on a stainless thimble of appropriate size for each end and keep the same toggles with 1/2" pins.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Splicing Dual braid Dyneema STS WR2

Yes, it is different.

With WR2, despite it having a dyneema cover, all the load is on the core . . . . So you have to use one of the core dependent splices - different from the splice you use for Dacron double braid (where the load is split between the core and cover).

With WR2 there are two options . . . . (1) Simply strip the cover off the ends and do a single braid splice on the ends. This is a very very easy splice but does expose the ends to uv and chafe. Or (2) use one of the double braid core dependent splices (See page 11 here just for one set of instructions). This is a more difficult splice, especially in WR2 which has a quite tight and stiff cover, but does protect the ends.

With either splice there is going to be quite a bit of constructional stretch after you load up the line the first couple times. There is also going to be long term "creep" - you appear to have sized the line to match the Wire strength. Usually it is sized bigger to reduce the amount of creep.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:26   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

In my experience--and I am not a master double braid splicer--WR2 is also different in that the cover is VERY tight and is optimized for abrasion protection. Expect a real battle.

Core-only splicing is child's play.

I don't think this would be my first choice for a backstay. My understanding is that it was designed for lifelines and similar applications. Then again, your backstay may rub on things a lot.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:34   #4

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
In my experience--and I am not a master double braid splicer--WR2 is also different in that the cover is VERY tight and is optimized for abrasion protection. Expect a real battle.

Core-only splicing is child's play.

I don't think this would be my first choice for a backstay. My understanding is that it was designed for lifelines and similar applications. Then again, your backstay may rub on things a lot.
baby stay, on a C&C 38, there are single lower shrouds, babystay is added forward of the mast to form triangle to support the mast at first spreader.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 17:08   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The cover on WR2 is there to theoretically minimize UV and chafe damage to the load bearing core. It was designed for the (racing) life line application (where you have chafe at the stanchion points) . . . but then ISAF banned dyneema life lines.

NER has never released any data on how that works out over time compared to the same total diameter single braid (where you have much higher initial strength because all the fibers in a single braid are load bearing).

My own tests suggests that WR2 "might" be better if there is significant potential chafe damage but single braid is better (and rather less expensive) if there is little chafe and only UV. So, if you plan to hank staysails onto the babystay then I would consider WR2, but if you don't plan to hank anything on it, I would use a single braid (easier to splice, stronger, and cheaper).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:53   #6

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

So how many years will you get out of this Dyneema and how long did the 1x19 ss last? how much mantainence, chafing, UV, creep...ie...re adjusting or splicing? Is this stuff really better than wire? I can see life lines, lazy jacks, duchman systems, netting, even running rigging. But standing rigging?

HHHHMMMM enlighten me.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 13:35   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
baby stay, on a C&C 38, there are single lower shrouds, babystay is added forward of the mast to form triangle to support the mast at first spreader.
I understand rigging, it's reading that troubles me!

With sheets going back and forth, I can see that could be a good choice. I might consider an extra chafe guard over the lower exposed eye, either webbing or NER Dyneema Chafe Sleeve.

And everything Starzinger said. Depends on the actual reality.

Tags
dyneema