Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 08:56   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Spinnaker Recommendations for a Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMPRTR View Post
Thanks. That's the plan. However, I wasn't going to go with a furler but a sock instead.
The sock is fine if you buy an off the shelf sail. If the sail is made for your boat you can add a little extra over the sock and buy the furler. They can be detached and used on a light upwind sail (Code Zero-likes). Very convenient if your sailing plans include any extended light wind sailing.

The other good thing is that you can furl and unfurl those light sails when you are shorthanded / from the cockpit, and you can leave them furled sails out there till a more convenient moment when you drop the whole thing. None of these easily achievable with the sock.

So, if you plan to use the light sails extensively and if you can afford the (not so huge) difference, think over going for the furler.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:23   #17

A gennaker will be a lot easier and so you will use it more. Having a spinnaker up requires paying attention and some work too! By the time I would get one up I was ready for a siesta, not ready to keep my neck craned up watching the trim! Much of the time you can use a Gennaker without a pole too. Yeah, there's nothing like barreling along with a spinnaker in 15-20 knots of wind, but that's for racing with a crew if you ask me!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 21:21   #18

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
So, if you plan to use the light sails extensively and if you can afford the (not so huge) difference, think over going for the furler.

b.
Thank you for your comments on that. I thought I would need a permanently installed furling unit which then adds more hardware, weight aloft and windage but if it is removable it definitely makes sense. How much extra do you think I would be looking at?
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 21:23   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
A gennaker will be a lot easier and so you will use it more. Having a spinnaker up requires paying attention and some work too! By the time I would get one up I was ready for a siesta, not ready to keep my neck craned up watching the trim! Much of the time you can use a Gennaker without a pole too. Yeah, there's nothing like barreling along with a spinnaker in 15-20 knots of wind, but that's for racing with a crew if you ask me!
Yes, that was my experience. My son, who is my main crew member, always groans when I say we are putting up the spinnaker. It is definitely on my list.
Old 06-09-2011, 22:34   #20

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvarnish View Post
I've got one of these

Parasailor - ISTEC - The Downwind Company - Home of the Parasailor and the Parasail - Spinnaker, Asymmetric Spinnaker, Gennaker, Blister, Downwind Sail, Cruising Chute, Cruising Kite

Quite expensive here in the UK but takes all the hassle out of spinnaker work. No poles, dead easy to gybe.
I have a Sailchute, 30 foot Diameter, I will be trying out Fiji to Australia on my home voyage,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sail chutes in action.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	31279  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 23:09   #21

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

This boat overtook me today like I was almost standing still.

Old 06-09-2011, 23:47   #22

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Send a message via Skype™ to Eric50

Hi everybody,

Something I am about to try with our asymetric is to gear it at the bowsprit instead of using the pole...for those who already tried it, is it OK or will I have some trouble to do so ?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:53   #23

Quote:
(...) How much extra do you think I would be looking at?
Example for my own (small=26 ft) boat:

a sleeve = 400 USD,
a genn/zero furler 600 USD

The bigger the boat, the bigger the difference. I looked at one size up too and the difference was 600 vs. 850 USD.

To learn how much it is for your boat, just search the web, or walk into your local sailmaker/rigger/chandlery and ask for a quote.

Remember that furl'able genn / code zero must have a special line in the luff (so it is a good way if you order new sails), while the sleeve can be used over any sail (again - strong point if you already have the sail).

The downside of the sock is that it is a one trick pony - light upwind sails cannot be socked and re-using the same sock if you have more than one kite is an issue too.

b.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Example for my own (small=26 ft) boat:

a sleeve = 400 USD,
a genn/zero furler 600 USD

The bigger the boat, the bigger the difference. I looked at one size up too and the difference was 600 vs. 850 USD.
Interesting. I asked my sail maker and searched the internet prior to your response. My sail maker said roughly $2000 for furler (unspecified make) but I saw that CDI has one for half that. So I guess it pays to shop around.

BTW, I saw that North Direct (and others I guess) have over-the-counter Gennakers for about $1050 for my boat (made in Sri Lanka I suspect) which is half the price I was quoted for a custom made one. Does any one have experience with these mass produced sails? While it would be nice to a pick of design and colours, saving a grand is even nicer.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:38   #25

Quote:
Interesting. I asked my sail maker and searched the internet prior to your response. My sail maker said roughly $2000 for furler (unspecified make) but I saw that CDI has one for half that. So I guess it pays to shop around.(...)
Sure thing.

Sample prices here:

Roller Furling Unit at Mauri Pro Sailing

The units can be normally had cheaper from big sail makers if purchased as a kit with a new sail or during special events/promotions.

A good of the shelf sail is as good as good as one made to measure, provided you will find the right fit. Buy from a trusted source and one where you can inspect the sail prior to spending your money.

b
Old 07-09-2011, 15:09   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Does any one have experience with these mass produced sails? While it would be nice to a pick of design and colours, saving a grand is even nicer.

Probably most non-racers are using "mass produced" sails. On my boat all the sails are mast produced.

I don't really see any sense to pay more for a custom spinnaker. What difference would you really expect between them? Maybe 2 extra square feet or something.
Old 07-09-2011, 15:21   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I don't really any sense to buy more for a custom spinnaker. What difference would you really expect between them? Maybe 2 extra sqquare feet or something.
Ya, I agree. Really, the only "benefit" would be that you can choose your style but the sail would likely be the same. It is good to know.
Old 25-03-2013, 12:52   #28

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Aspen

Quote:
That is really cool. I bet they are expensive.
Yes they are expensive. It will cost nearly $9,000 US for a Parasail designed for a 39 foot boat.
SVAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 13:46   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'd go with a Gennaker/Reacher/Drifter/Code zero rather than an Asym. My limited experience with our Asym hasn't impressed me with it's windward ability. Handling it with a ATN snuffer has been a breeze. Think a gennaker on a furler would be a much more useful sail over a wider range of wind speeds and direction. If you have the ability to set the sail with a furler on a sprit, think that's the way to go. With that set up, you can leave it up so you can deploy it any time that you want. Especially nice on those days when the windspeed and/or direction is changeable. Only take it down when conditions dictate or you don't anticipate needing it.

As far as price for the spinnaker and sock. Have bought a couple of spinnakers in VGC for my 35' boat for $300 range. Have seen them from $200 to well over a $1,000 depending on condition and size. Sold one with a 50' hoist and sock for $500. Bought an ATN sock for $250 and a Chute Scoop for a $100. Personally, if you have the time, I'd haunt Ebay, the used sail sellers and Craig's List for a sail. Have seen an Asym that looked to be in VGC for $500 recently.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 14:08   #30

Boat: Hylas 49

check the used sail lofts like Bacon's in Annapolis. Lots of used symmetrical chutes for sale!
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, spinnaker