Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 06:08   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch
Spinnaker Pole Repair

Does anyone know how to replace the release wire (the one that opens the jaw) on a spinnaker pole jaw. I cannot see how it attaches to the piston inside the jaw and how to get the piston / spring out of the jaw.
Thanks.
kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:28   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: spinnaker pole repair

Being as there are more than one type of jaws perhaps a photo would help us to help you.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35   #3

I am at work but will post a pic tonight.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:55   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

I had to do that, Had to drill the rivets that fit the end to the pole, pop the end off and then found the cable's crimps had let go, recrimped, re-riveted and took the opportunity to lube it all up. My pole is a Proctor.
Old 09-03-2012, 15:05   #5

OK. Here is a pic of the fitting. I cannot figure out how the wire is connected in the fitting. I took the fitting off and the inside is just a plain casting. No access there. Anyone have any experience with this type?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2998598920.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	38528  
Old 09-03-2012, 15:23   #6

While I haven't seen this exact fitting, it is fairly clear the wire is attached inside the fitting (at least going by the photo). When you say you removed the fitting, I assume you took it off the pole by undoing the slotted screws (one of which is shown in photo).

Did you split what looks like the two castings, the darker piece and the jaw piece. Perhaps these are screwed together or interference fit and pinned or ??

Is there any type of pin or screw in the small hole to the right of the five turns of cord?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 09-03-2012, 15:32   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Spot-on Wotname - its all inside - you can book it.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 16:00   #8

I took the end off. The part that is screwed to the pole is an adapter. The end fitting slides into the adapter. There is no access to the pin or wire inside the fitting.
Weirdest thing I have seen.
Old 09-03-2012, 16:24   #9

OK, it does sound weird.
Any more pics looking inside the fitting?
It there a pin or similar in that small hole mentioned above?
When puzzled like this, I try to remember the maxim "if it was made by man, it can be pulled apart by man and perhaps even repaired by man"; not universal but nearly so.

I still think the answer is inside (somehow???)
Old 09-03-2012, 16:34   #10

There is definitely no access to the mechanism from inside the casting.Upon further examination there seems to be some kind of pin that stops the piston through the outboard end of the jaw. I think if I drill it out, the piston, spring, and wire will come out from the outboard end and then I can attach a new wire to the piston put it back in and press a new pin in as a stop. I can,t see any other way to get it apart. I am going to try it tomorrow and will report back. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Old 09-03-2012, 16:48   #11

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahhh somebody put it together, so therefor theres a way to take it apart !! no way to get around that ! If I had it in my hand, but like this it's hard but sounds like you may be on the right track with the pin removell at least ck it well before ya drill it may be a taperd pin or just a #2 or so tight fit and can be tapped out ! just a Thought
Old 09-03-2012, 17:48   #12

Yep, you are on to it. They didn't put that hole and pin (set screw etc) in there for no reason. I am assuming then there is a though hole in the very ends of the jaws to allow the piston to move outboard, once the pin is removed.

My poles have recessed holes, not though holes. A through hole is good evidence that you are on the right track!

Yes, I would try tapping it out with a drift before drilling. Soak in diesel or mouse milk overnight or use some wonder can of spray first.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:13   #13

I took the plug out of the end of the jaw and you can clearly see the stop pin. Now I have to figure out how to remove it. It seems to be pressed in not threaded. I don't know how far it is into the bottom of the jaw. I may have to drill it out and put in a bigger one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2608556341.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	38548   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2947730682.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	38549  

Old 10-03-2012, 08:19   #14

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Spinnaker Pole Repair

That looks nothing like mine, sorry, but, in your first pic there is a hole, I suspect there is a roll pin drilled on a chord to the main hole, this might locate in a reduced diameter section of the shaft, and probably is what the spring is standing on too. Have you seen if there is a pin in there? and if you see light through the hole, it might be a hollow pin. I bet thats how its retained. let us know please.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:01   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Spinnaker Pole Repair

That little pin could be a challenge to get out if you can't drive it through from one side--looks like it was designed by a Brit....

First I'd try clamping this on and hammering on it.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...FUqR7QodtDU4Vw

If there isn't room for the needle nose vice grips, then I would be cutting the pin in half with a dremel tool or jig saw and working on one side at a time.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinnaker