Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-01-2012, 11:39   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Specific Solent Stay Question

I cant tell for sure from the pic, but it looks like you are installing more of a staysail stay...? Most solent stays I've seen are mounted pretty near the headstay tack at the bow.... and down from the top on the mast to create a slot....? I guess it comes down to the real purpose you intend for the solent stay. Storm sail or heavy weather jib in lieu of the furling headsail would be an oft used reason...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 02:51   #32

Hi

Everyone I spoke to suggested that putting the Solent stay to close to the genny is a good way to kill the windward performance of the sail on the Solent stay. So I've anchored mine about 3ft or so back, actually this is where the bulkhead is so didn't have much choice.

I'm thinking of getting a blade type jib with a set of reef points as this would be much more likely to get used than a stormjib.

Regards martin

Old 18-01-2012, 10:18   #33

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa clara
Hi

Everyone I spoke to suggested that putting the Solent stay to close to the genny is a good way to kill the windward performance of the sail on the Solent stay. So I've anchored mine about 3ft or so back, actually this is where the bulkhead is so didn't have much choice.

I'm thinking of getting a blade type jib with a set of reef points as this would be much more likely to get used than a stormjib.

Regards martin
Exactly where I plan to put mine. I'm thinking about a reefable hank on staysail plus a storm jib. Storm jobs are built tough and don't take much room.
Old 18-01-2012, 10:56   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa clara View Post
Hi

Regards martin
Sounds like a good idea, a nice flat-ish cut blade ought to go to weather great there! Can you store it hanked on in a deck bag ready to use?
I dont think there's any performance issue either way... unless you're thinking of flying both headsails?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 11:02   #35

Yes one headsail at a time and the blade ready to go. Plastimo do an off the peg storm jib thats cheap...I might get one of those for a rainy day!

Regards Martin
Old 18-01-2012, 11:52   #36

Boat: Wauquiez Amphitrite 43- Demeter

Im just about done with a similar install. In my case I had an anchor locker bulkhead to mount a proper chainplate on, 3/8 SS plate with 5 hex bolts 1/2" and a G-10 backingplate on the other side of the bulkhead. Im making my stay from either covered vectran (3/8" crystalene) or possibly 3/8 Dynex Dux. I subscribe to the rule of keeping the top fitting within 6% of mast height for no runners so my top fitting is going to be about 2.5' down from mast head (51' spar). Im going to use a T-terminal with backing plate. There is no need to take the rig down for this install. One simply cuts the appropriate size slot (rounded ends) and use a piece of stiff wire to hold the backing plate in place while riveting. Its a lot easier to do with the mast down but not a deal stopper. So my fiber stay will have a thimble at the bottom where it will attach to the highfield lever. The top will have a T terminal with a ring that the other end of the stay will be spliced to. Just below the T terminal will be a sheave box for a halyard. This way when we are not on passage I can send my boy aloft to take the whole stay down.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: