Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2015, 13:09   #1

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Sources 4 Sail Design, & Recutting Freeware

Hey guys,
Does anyone have any good sources for downloadable software for sail design? Both for creating new sails (non-laminated) from scratch, as well as software which will help with re-cutting/re-seaming a sail. In order to do things such as:

- Take some of the excess sagginess/bagginess out of a main or jib. And thus extend it's usable life.
- Also to say, let me take a cheap, used, (possibly) oversized jib for the boat in question & turn it into a passable reacher.
A program which will, perhaps with the aid of digitized/download pictures (or a well calibrated eyeball), plus maybe sail, and panel dimensions, assist me in modifying said donor sail into anything from something optimized for say 60 degrees AWA.
- Or using an (optionally) even bigger jib, to help turn it into a sail that's dialed in for some of the Code, & tighter sailing Spinnaker angles. Like say 90 degrees AWA, or even deeper. Flown; free flying from a sprit, or the bow. Or perhaps on a stay (foils too), such as a Solent, using hanks - while the primary jib is rolled up tightly on the furler. Pretty much thereby, creating inexpensive, high'ish performance, cruising sails.

And yes, I know that anything that I plan to set free flying will require some type of built in luff wire/rope/cable. But such isn't a huge problem, knock on wood.

Such things have been done many a time on some of the bigger boats which I've sailed & raced on, by the loft. I'm just wanting to learn to do as much, modification wise, on my own. Ditto on re-seaming working sails. And thus, any tools which will aid me would be a big help.

Thanks

PS: If anyone's got good leads on some inexpensive, user friendly, sail design/modification programs at a reasonable price, that might work too!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 04:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: Sources 4 Sail Design, & Recutting Freeware

Sorry mate, what you are asking for doesn't really exist. Sailmaking software starts at about $5k USD and goes up to 30k Euro for something that will reverse engineer a digitized photo. There is one free around called sailcut, I used it once but basically had to reshape the seams on the floor, maybe they have improved it by now.
Re-cuting sails is becoming a lost art with the sales reps, centralised production and unskilled repair outfits.
You could also look for a book called "The sailmakers apprentice"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Hey guys,
Does anyone have any good sources for downloadable software for sail design? Both for creating new sails (non-laminated) from scratch, as well as software which will help with re-cutting/re-seaming a sail. In order to do things such as:

- Take some of the excess sagginess/bagginess out of a main or jib. And thus extend it's usable life.
- Also to say, let me take a cheap, used, (possibly) oversized jib for the boat in question & turn it into a passable reacher.
A program which will, perhaps with the aid of digitized/download pictures (or a well calibrated eyeball), plus maybe sail, and panel dimensions, assist me in modifying said donor sail into anything from something optimized for say 60 degrees AWA.
- Or using an (optionally) even bigger jib, to help turn it into a sail that's dialed in for some of the Code, & tighter sailing Spinnaker angles. Like say 90 degrees AWA, or even deeper. Flown; free flying from a sprit, or the bow. Or perhaps on a stay (foils too), such as a Solent, using hanks - while the primary jib is rolled up tightly on the furler. Pretty much thereby, creating inexpensive, high'ish performance, cruising sails.

And yes, I know that anything that I plan to set free flying will require some type of built in luff wire/rope/cable. But such isn't a huge problem, knock on wood.

Such things have been done many a time on some of the bigger boats which I've sailed & raced on, by the loft. I'm just wanting to learn to do as much, modification wise, on my own. Ditto on re-seaming working sails. And thus, any tools which will aid me would be a big help.

Thanks

PS: If anyone's got good leads on some inexpensive, user friendly, sail design/modification programs at a reasonable price, that might work too!
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 04:55   #3
cruiser

Re: Sources 4 Sail Design, & Recutting Freeware

Sailcut CAD software

the Sailmaker's Apprentice, (both above already mentioned)

and: Don Casey, "Canvaswork and Sail Repair"
"Sails: the way they work and how to make them" Derek Harvey
"The Complete Guide to Sail Care & Repair" Dan Neri (the best imo)

should get you started
Contact Sailmaker's Supply (Marine Canvas, Fabrics, Hardware and Supplies | Sailmaker's Supply) which has books and supplies
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail