Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2008, 19:33   #1

Boat: malikalalu
Single handed mast climb system

Hi,
Can anybody tell me what's the best system/brand to climb the mast alone?
thanks
Rolando
malikalalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 20:05   #2

Boat: Freedom 39 Pilot House "Spartan"
Top Climber has worked well for me,
HG
hglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 20:43   #3

DITTO! It's the only one that really works.

Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 01:01   #4

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
I use standard mountaineering gear: a harness and 2 "jumars" and assorted webbing. When I can be winched up I use a comfortable bosuns chair on the halyard and one of the jumars on another halyard as my safety. That way my wife is only watching one line.
Old 28-02-2008, 03:41   #5

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
I climb with a harness and a couple prusiks. Second halyard as safety when someone is around to man it. Prusiks are very useful and cheap. Where as jumars or other mechanical rope grabs are expensive and single purpose. Not that there's anything wrong with having good equipment for a certain task, it's just that I keep things as low tech as possible. And I'm cheap.
Old 28-02-2008, 06:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomsen View Post
I use standard mountaineering gear: a harness and 2 "jumars" and assorted webbing. When I can be winched up I use a comfortable bosuns chair on the halyard and one of the jumars on another halyard as my safety. That way my wife is only watching one line.
Why don't you use your bosuns chair with your jumars, similar to the TopClimber. That way you don't need your wife. For a safety line I use a rolling hitch on a seperate halyard and slide it up as I climb.
Marc
Old 28-02-2008, 06:51   #7

Rolling hitch as a safety, that's a recipe for disaster. I hope you never fall on that and have your life depend on it.
Old 28-02-2008, 07:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
Rolling hitch as a safety, that's a recipe for disaster. I hope you never fall on that and have your life depend on it.
Why so? I've used a rolling hitch on many high load situations, such as relieving over-rides on sheet winches, anchoring bridles, etc, and never had slippage or failure of any kind. Every article I've ever read on the subject recommends the rolling hitch. If there's something I'm missing, I would really like to know, or if there is a better and safer way.

Thanks, Marc
Old 28-02-2008, 07:48   #9

Marc, I'm heading out right now, will get to this later. Lots to discuss.
Bill
Old 28-02-2008, 08:30   #10

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Marc,
I haven't tried using the bosuns chari with the jumars, maybe I'll give it a try. It seemed like it would make it harder to climb, being in the way or slipping back.

I would also worry about using a rolling hitch as a safety. While it does hold perfect when tight, if you fall it may not tighten quickly enough. I think using a prusik loop would be quicker, easier and probably safer. (But I used to be a climber, so maybe I am just stuck in my old ways.)
Jim
Old 28-02-2008, 10:07   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Everyone says, there's more than one way to skin a cat, but according to Professor Frankhauser, there is a “right” way:
DISSECTION OF THE CAT I: SKINNING ~ by David B. Fankhauser, Ph.D.
The following are the steps to the proper and orderly preparation and skinning of the cat ...
Cat_Skinning

So it may also be with rigging for climbing.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 13:09   #12

Boat: Fantasia 35
Mast steps. I've used them for 25+ years without a problem. My neighbor just installed folding steps and loves them.
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 14:00   #13

Marc,
Before I spout off, my opinions are based on many years experience with our departments tech rescue team and involvement with Chaffee County SAR.
The rolling hitch was never intended for fall protection/life safety. It may work, but it may not. It will be difficult to maintain the knot integrity while sliding it up the host rope. A prusik is what you want to use.
The British Columbia Council on Tech Rescue did extensive testing on systems, knots and equipment. The only recommendation they have is the prusik. Prusiks are cheap and have many uses. Of course there are many mechanical devices out there that do the same thing, just for a lot more $$$$.
Check out Animated Knots by Grog notice the recommended uses for the knots we're discussing. That site also does a decent job of describing how to tie them. Prusik size, diameter, is critical. Too large and the prusik will not grab the host rope. Too small and it will grip like hell and be difficult to undo and slide. Figure about 70-80 % of the host rope. For example a 10mm host rope would require a 7-8mm prusik.

Yes there is more than one way to skin a cat, but if my butt is hanging on a line it will be hanging on the RIGHT knot.

And like viking sailor said mast steps are great. If you aren't totally confidant climbing a rope don't. You can get hurt real bad.
Old 28-02-2008, 15:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
And like viking sailor said mast steps are great. If you aren't totally confidant climbing a rope don't. You can get hurt real bad.

Estrella has mast steps on the main mast so I tie two prussics to my climbing harness and take them up with me as I climb the steps. The mizzen has no steps so just prussics are used.

no need to spend $300+ on the "topclimber" which is just two ascenders and a harness ;-)
Adam Yuret
s/v Estrella
Magellan 36' Ketch
www.sailestrella.com
AdamY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 16:35   #15

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
the ATN topclimber works..... but

yea but...

I have an ATN topclimber. It does work, but is not nearly as easy to use as their marketing suggests. I have only used mine a half a dozen times, but now use it as an ordinary chair if there is anyone around.

Having winched others aloft, and used the ATN I recommend a regular old chair over it. If you have to do it singlehanded, it works but make sure to practice a bit before you need to use it underway.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, singlehanding