Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 06:10   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Should standing rigging be regularly renewed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie42 View Post
Many thanks to everyone who has weighed in to this thread, answering my question - I have read all your posts carefully. I have to say the advice I am getting is rather varied, but "replace every 10 years" crops up fairly often.

In answer to David_Old_Jersey and others who talk about the risks involved, my mast is attached to the cabin roof via a pretty solid pin, transverse to the boat's length. Sure, I am only lake/bay sailing but if a shroud parted, I imagine the mast would take a chunk of the cabin with it as it went over the side. This is the picture which prompted the original post . . .
Fair enough .....12 years is well into the territory of preventative replacement.....albeit (IMO!) not yet outside the ballpark!

Given that I have just given someone else a kicking on another thread about not doing exactly that - then perhaps I should clarify that for a boat used further away from shore / potential assistance that 10 years would be (and is) my own personal limit.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:19   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Should standing rigging be regularly renewed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie42 View Post
. . . but if a shroud parted, I imagine the mast would take a chunk of the cabin with it as it went over the side. This is the picture which prompted the original post . . .
I rather doubt that. I had a 17 ft Newport and the aluminum mast was light enough I could lift it off the trailer storage and carry it to the proper position for the tabernacle pin. If the mast fell forward or aft you might put a dent in the mast and maybe a "ding" in the fiberglass hull where it hit. If the mast fell athwartship, as might happen if a shroud failed while really heeled over you might bend the pin or deform the tabernacle/mast shoe, but I doubt you would do any damage to the actual hull/cabin top. The aluminum mast is thin and light and like a "soda straw" would bend or dent a lot sooner than anything else.

But in any case finding a replacement mast is both time consuming and expensive - so a careful examination of the wire and any fittings/swags/nicropress, etc., is well worth it. I had problems with the shrouds/stays getting "kinked" in the process of raising and lower the mast. The invariably got stuck on something as I raised the mast and a kink resulted.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging