Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2016, 15:34   #1

Boat: Seafarer36c
Sheets

Do Jib sheets really need to be stretchy? I see race boats with some pretty low stretch lines. For our boat's jib sheets, 1/4" Spectra (Amsteel) would be more than strong enough. So if you could fatten it up and put some cover on it, what would be the problem?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 16:21   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: sheets

No problem with using spectra, but more expensive than needed and why go to the hassle of fattening and covering when cheaper, larger line will do the job,

Personally, on a 36 ft cruising boat, I'd go for 3/8 (10mm) polyester double braid (or maybe even 12mm).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 16:32   #3

Handling. It's all about the handling. I'd use 1/2" or 9/16 if they still sell it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 16:48   #4

I'm trying to set up a second sheet so I can put the clew in the slot between the top and forward stays. Having to re-rig just one sheet through the 2 snatch blocks to the winch is a big pain and dangerous.
If I could drop way down in line size I think it would be doable. I want to use a one piece sheet and keep things tidy somehow. That's would be too much wet 3/8 double braid line all over the place. Broken in 1/4" Amsteel is pretty compact.
Old 17-08-2016, 17:12   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I'm trying to set up a second sheet so I can put the clew in the slot between the top and forward stays. Having to re-rig just one sheet through the 2 snatch blocks to the winch is a big pain and dangerous.
If I could drop way down in line size I think it would be doable. I want to use a one piece sheet and keep things tidy somehow. That's would be too much wet 3/8 double braid line all over the place. Broken in 1/4" Amsteel is pretty compact.
Not trying to be funny,but what are you trying to do? Perhaps a photo of your boat or a description of the rig would help.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 17:30   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I think a spectra core line would be OK. But why use it if polyester is strong enough (and cheaper).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 17:52   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Okay, here's a (rhetoriccal) question. How well can you grip 6mm Amsteel with your hands? And how to you plan to cleat it or lock it into a winch's self tailer? The stuff is crazy slippery.
Also, there's Zero break in with Amsteel. And have you worked with it at all? The reason which racers use it are; less weight, & no stretch. But then the sails which they use also don't stretch. And their sheets are usually made of covered Amsteel (Blue), like the line Warpspeed, by Samson.
Using it with Dacron sails is kind of like putting Ferrari tires on a 30yr old estate car (station wagon).

Normally I'm a big advocate of Dyneema, but it has to make sense for the intended application. So what's the thinking here? As it sounds like a case of trying to emulate one's neighbors. AKA Keeping up with the Jones's.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 17:56   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
And how to you plan to cleat it or lock it into a winch's self tailer? The stuff is crazy slippery.
This!!!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 18:51   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

How much splicing do you do yourself? Because if you can do all your own splicing and have old double braid polyester lines you can remove the core and splice in dyneema cores with the old cover and make warpspeed for a fraction the cost. But if you can't do it yourself it will cost more than just buying it.

As mentioned uncovered dyneema does not work on winches very well, and it will be too small for most deck hardware if you reduce the size to strength match. It is doable, but changing a system over to use uncovered dyneema is a bad idea from a material standpoint and insainly expensive.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 19:29   #10

I don't care about the cost. I love to splice stuff, I have all the fid kits.. I think I said in my first post that I would fatten and cover the line. So no ****, you can't grip a 1/4"line made from plastic bags. Is everybody stupid?
Old 17-08-2016, 20:04   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
I don't care about the cost. I love to splice stuff, I have all the fid kits.. I think I said in my first post that I would fatten and cover the line. So no ****, you can't grip a 1/4"line made from plastic bags. Is everybody stupid?
Yep, we're all stupid......and you're wondering if jib sheets need to be stretchy.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 20:13   #12

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Every room contains at least one stupid Guy. If you look around the room and can't see anyone stupid . . . . . um . . . . er . . . . what can I tell you ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 20:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Every room contains at least one stupid Guy. If you look around the room and can't see anyone stupid . . . . . um . . . . er . . . . what can I tell you ?
Sure, you think people don't know you can't grip a wet a plastic 1/4 "line. Who is fuxx is stupid?
Old 17-08-2016, 20:24   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

If you don't care about cost or doing the work yourself then go with Marlow D12-99 sized to stretch covered where necessary with Samson Flavored Ice covers. Soft shackles made from D12 MAX 99 in the same size as the core works very well to keep the load contained.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 21:53   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
If you don't care about cost or doing the work yourself then go with Marlow D12-99 sized to stretch covered where necessary with Samson Flavored Ice covers. Soft shackles made from D12 MAX 99 in the same size as the core works very well to keep the load contained.
Glad the above bill isn't coming out of my wallet!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sheets