Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2016, 09:23   #16

Boat: morgan 33 out island
Re: sheaves

ok LOL i just checked my email.wow i love learning by mistake seems to be the way thanks for the correction and yes i cant spell for ****. i wont be able to get the sheaves out till i get the mast down. i have tried and they are very frozen in place.but finding the right one and getting them ordered is my next concern. any ideas on suppliers?
pattersail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 09:39   #17

Often Sheave is pronounced Shiv by many. So who cares.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 20:03   #18

I guess I had better get my sheaves together. This forum is funny or you guys are. Heading back out to sea. Check in with you all next week ✌️
Old 26-06-2016, 17:23   #19

ok next question. i am trying to decide if i should paint the mast. it has never been painted but it is fairly oxidized. below decks the protective coating is peeling off and looks terrible.it is aluminium and we are replacing all the stays,turnbuckles,halyards,sheaves,wind indicators etc. this would add a lot of work and time in the yard.is it really worth it ?i know how to do it and i even have a team of eager helpers. what say all you
Old 27-06-2016, 21:20   #20

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Back to the basics I guess then.
Those pulley thingies, are kinda hard to pin down on size.
You may get lucky ,when you pull them although.
Maybe just oversize the pins to tighten them.
Maybe the groove will be not to worn out that supports the halyard.
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to have them fabricated out of delrin if you choose that course.

Sent from SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 21:22   #21

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersail View Post
ok next question. i am trying to decide if i should paint the mast. it has never been painted but it is fairly oxidized. below decks the protective coating is peeling off and looks terrible.it is aluminium and we are replacing all the stays,turnbuckles,halyards,sheaves,wind indicators etc. this would add a lot of work and time in the yard.is it really worth it ?i know how to do it and i even have a team of eager helpers. what say all you

Be sure to check the base of that rig for corrosion.
, and the socket.

Sent from SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 11:41   #22

i will do an inspection of the whole thing apon getting out of the boat. lets hope it is in good shape. we have decided to paint it to better protect it for the future.
Old 28-06-2016, 11:58   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I wouldn't paint, unless it's as bad as you say, then maybe. Nothing looks worse than peeling paint.
An option is just paint the part that is inside the boat to make it look pretty, or cover it with a fabric cover.
I plan eventually to make or have a cover made for my mast out of something like a quilt. In cold weather that metal pole right beside where I sleep I swear can pull a lot of heat out of the boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 12:18   #24

thats a good idea. i will talk to my partner about it. i must admit i am not a blogger but i like the info i am getting from this forum and look forward to having internet to check in. thanks to all
Old 29-06-2016, 16:07   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Just a couple of points...

1) call ZephyrWorks http://www.zephyrwerks.com They can help walk you thru the process of measuring the sheaves and then custom make Delrin ones for you. Figure about $30 for a custom sheave, a little less if it's one they have on the shelf.

2) I would never recommend painting an aluminium mast. It doesn't add much in the way of protection, and is very difficult to do well and once you start painting you either have to keep redoing it forever or strip it all the way back to aluminium. Basically it's a lot of work for very little benefit.

3) if you are going to cover any self protecting metal (stainless, aluminium, etc) be very careful that the cover doesn't hold water next to the metal. Or if it does that it will dry quickly. Over the long term stagnent water held against aluminium can cause poltice corrosion.

4) the protective coating is likely just a clear coat added for cosmetic purposes. I would just remove it, make sure there is no corrosion underneath it then let it be.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 22:39   #26

thanks for reaffirming what i knew. there is nothing wrong with the bare aluminium but my partner seems to think it will add value. i agree with you . we will leave it bare and re do the clear coat below decks for aesthetic reasons.and thanks for the web site that is exactly what i was looking for