Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 17:34   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Selden GX furler question

If anyone is using a Selden GX series furler with an asymetrical spinnacker, I would appreciate getting some idea as to how long it takes to rig and take down your setup.
I didn't realize until today that not only is the sail taken down but the furler stays attached to the sail and goes with it as does the endless furling line and of course the sheets.
I really appreciate how fast and easy furling sails are (hence my desire for a furling asymetrical) but as I am thinking about all the details, I am wondering if I am buying myself a lot of work (I am not into racing).
My question is rather simple - how long does it take you to haul out the furled spinnacker, run the endless furling line through a couple of tandem stanchion blocks, set up the double cleat for the endless furling line, run the sheets, attach the furling drum to the bow spirit, attach the head to the halyard, hoist the halyard and be ready to use the sail .... ?
I am hoping that after doing this a few times it is a five to ten minute excercise but not having done this before I want to make sure this is not a half hour affair going out and another half hour coming in (taking down the sail) because at that point it is unlikely that the sail would get used often for day sails.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 23:59   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: Selden GX furler question

We use a furling code zero for cruising on a Ronstan furler. I think it takes about 10 minutes to setup. Our furling line is short and controlled from the foredeck so don't have to run that (some furlers you can take the furling line in and out). We don't leave the sheets on, normally we are on a passage so just run a single sheet on whatever side is required. We put the prod in place and the bottom of the furler clips on to the sprit, so no tack line etc. Single handed it would be easier having the furling line coming to the cockpit.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, paracelle