Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-03-2010, 08:15   #1

Securing Paddle Board to Lifelines ?

I purchased a new stand up paddle board with a wind surfing rig. The thing is 11'6" long and weighs about 25lb. I am trying to figure out the best place to secure the board on deck and it seems using the stanchions and lifelines are pretty much the only good option.

I purchased 2 stainless hooks that can be secured to 2 stanchions and the board will fit onto these. I installed those so the board sits outside the lifelines leaving the side deck clear. Then I used webbing straps with a clamp fitting to pull the board tight to the stanchions and thus secure it. It seems pretty secure. I have it about 1/3 of the way back from the bow and it seems the genoa sheet will clear it without issues.

Still.... I am worried. Is this a smart move? Have others had success with securing things like kayaks in this manner or am I sure to lose my new board the first time we get a good blow offshore?

Any ideas or opinions are appreciated.

Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:55   #2

Boat: CS 36t
I would have 2 worries with this system but otherwise it should work well.

The first is that there will invariably be some vibration between the board and stanchions which will slowly wear off the board. Luckily, this is easily fixed (you may have already done it and not told us) by just putting a piece of pipe insulation over the stanchions.

The other concern is what happens when a big wave hits the board in rough weather. My biggest concern would actually be breaking/bending the stanchions rather than loosing the board. Think of the number of jerry cans that are lost in this same position and they have much less surface area. I don't know of any good solution to this one. It won't be an issue in normal weather but it will be an issue in heavy weather.

klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:13   #3

Yes, the heavy weather issue is a concern. I do not think that heavy winds would be enough to over stress the stanchions (short of a hurricane that is...) but a large wave boarding the boat offshore would cause a problem. My plan would be to secure the board flat on the deck should such conditions be imminent. I could lay the board on top of the dinghy which we store on the foredeck when offshore and lash it down along with the dinghy. This is a less than ideal solution but the only option I can think of.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:44   #4

You will lose the board and stanchions while causing a big safety problem if you try that offshore in bad weather. In a pinch will the board fit down below where it belongs? Otherwise its a good plan for easy coastal cruising. That's a great toy.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:10   #5

I am pretty sure it will not fit below as it will not go down the companionway.

I am going to have to firm up and test a plan for how to re-stow it for bad weather offshore. It may be possible to stack it on top of the dinghy on the foredeck and lash it down with the dinghy. Or I may be able to lay it down along the side deck inside the shrouds and lash it to the shrouds. If I did that though I think it would get damaged if a big wave came aboard.

With the board attached to the stanchions where I have it now, it would take a very large wave boarding from the beam to cause a problem. It is far enough back from the bow that I do not think waves rolling over the bow would cause an issue. Basically, if we had heavy boarding waves on the beam we would be in trouble with it. If however we hove to on the opposite tack I would think it would be ok or if we were running off downwind.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:40   #6
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
do you use a spinnaker? If so, I'd worry out the sheet catching on the board if the chute collapses and then fills.

I carry two 4.5 meter sea kayaks on the foredeck, and store them inboard on their beam ends against the lifeline stanchions. I use bungees to secure them because it's better for the yaks than a rigid brace would be. This system hasn't been a problem other than to lose a bit of deck space. In fact, when I hauled out a few days ago I just left the yaks in their spot.
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:55   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Secure it to the stanchions so that if a large wave hits the board it will break partially loose, for example with bungee cords. This way you do not end up with bent stanchions. Also secure a line to it so that if this does happen, you will not lose it completely. If the weather is horrible and the board is loose, you can always cut the line and sacrifice the board. A boat whose lifelines and stanchions are in tact is more important than having the board.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 15:34   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60
We keep a 2 man kayak on the stanchions when we are not out and about but when doing anything off shore we secure it on the catwalk between the tramps. We are a cat. We’ve had waves run past that probably would have taken out, or for certain bent the stanchions. I would be cautious about this one.
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 07:22   #9

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
Is there any way you could use a car-top carrier, bar type rack to secure it on your solar panel arch? Ideally it might fit under so you can still use the panels, but otherwise it would be high enough to be free of boarding waves, and edge on it won't give the windage that it will standing up against the stanchions.
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 08:32   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41 Ohana

As I remember you have a Stevens 47 correct? I looked that boat up on the net and didn't see that it had aluminum toe rails. I have a 9'6" board that I strap thru the toe rails and over the board. I then secure the board to the top lifeline to keep it standing upright. I mount it in the same position as you do. I like doing it this way as opposed to strapping it to the stanchions because there is more stretch and I feel there is less chance of the stanchions bending if a big wave should hit. I also realize that I can cut the straps and get rid of the board if the situation gets too bad. If things started getting rough I would be able to strap the board flat on the deck. I don't think there is a good solution in all the time I have spent thinking about it. It takes an extra step of caution but it is the best solution that I have come up with.

These are the type of waves where I would be worried.

Fair Winds,

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 05:41   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
Back in 2003 I won a kayak in a Malaysian regatta, and its been lashed to the stanchions/lifelines every since--across the Indian and up the Red Sea, then across the Atlantic, then from Maine to Trinidad a couple of times. No problem. I always figured if the weather got bad enough, it would be an offering to Neptune, but with modern forecasting, you can usually avoid the really nasty stuff.

donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: