Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 14:36   #1

Boat: San Juan 28
San Juan 28 (1878) Running Rigging

I want to replace all of running rigging due to age and that the halyards are wire spliced to braided line. The top "hat" or cast aluminum fitting at the top of the mast has two forward and two aft sheaves (built in pulley blocks) and a rugged connection on the very top/forward edge that I assume is for the spinnaker halyard block. Can anyone answer the following questions:
1. Can you confirm that the aft pair of sheaves in the mast top hat are for the main halyard and the boom lift?
2. I assume that one of the forward top hat swheaves is for the jib. Correct?
3. What is the second forward sheave for?
4. There is a 1.25" single block screwed into a slot on the forward edge of the mast, about 3' from the top. A line is routed iinternal to the mast through this. What is this line's purpose? It is pretty high to be the spinnaker pole lift.
5. A second block matching the one described in #4 is installed a few feet above the spreeaders. What is its purpose?

Thanks in advance.
Old 16-06-2013, 13:52   #2

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
Re: San Juan 28 (1878) Running Rigging

Pictures would be great.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 17:52   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanganaro View Post
I want to replace all of running rigging due to age and that the halyards are wire spliced to braided line. The top "hat" or cast aluminum fitting at the top of the mast has two forward and two aft sheaves (built in pulley blocks) and a rugged connection on the very top/forward edge that I assume is for the spinnaker halyard block. Can anyone answer the following questions:
1. Can you confirm that the aft pair of sheaves in the mast top hat are for the main halyard and the boom lift?
2. I assume that one of the forward top hat swheaves is for the jib. Correct?
3. What is the second forward sheave for?
4. There is a 1.25" single block screwed into a slot on the forward edge of the mast, about 3' from the top. A line is routed iinternal to the mast through this. What is this line's purpose? It is pretty high to be the spinnaker pole lift.
5. A second block matching the one described in #4 is installed a few feet above the spreeaders. What is its purpose?

Thanks in advance.
My thoughts:

1. Yes, that is the usual configuration for main halyard and topping lift/spare halyard.

2. Many people, especially racers, fit two genoa halyards and use those two sheaves for the purpose.

3. It is likely a pole lift despite its height. Or, was there perhaps a removable inner forestay fitted in the past? If so, could be a staysail halyard.

4. If the upper one is indeed a stays'l halyard, then this one could be the pole lift.

Do remember that there are no specific rules about such matters. Lots of different ways to rig things and many even work!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-03-2014, 11:34   #4

Boat: san jaun 30

I have a San Jaun 30- probably very similar rig. Double spreader- single forward lower. It has 2 genny halyards- internal, single spinnaker halyard- external, an internal wire halyard very high up that I use for pole topping lift.The mast has exit slot for lower topping lift, but is not fitted. Back in the day, these boats flew a " blooper or streaker" - a vaguely triangular, light sail along side the spinnaker. It was supposed to control the deathroll tendancy when racing down wind. I think thats why theres one so high up- gives an option for racing. My best guess anyway, it is odd. BTW, great old boats these are, I think
pappa gasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 13:28   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I don't think they were using stainless, cast aluminum or braided line in 1878.

Tags
rigging