Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 13:44   #91
Marine Service Provider
 
NornaBiron's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greece
Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Posts: 644
Re: Sailrite Kits... Do it yourself sailmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
I am not a sailmaker or sail designer but I can have some input on this discussion. using a cad program makes sail designing much easier for the tri-radial and complex type sails. but that is good only for the designers who use them. the actual shape of the sails have been with us for many years. they can best be done using a crosscut design. just don't last as long or keep thier shape in different wind speeds. chord shapes and selection of them are not hard to do. they were done long before computers. but radial designs without the plaid cut would be impossible without a computer. as for the sewing, the expert sewer only sews sails, not designs them, they are good because they sew straight and fast. almost any sailrite sewing machine owner can sew the sail and have the same sail. won't look as good perhaps but if he didn't screw up too badly he would have the same sail as a expert sewer. I make all my own sails; for a soling 1 meter. (rc boat)
One of the biggest problems we've found is getting the fabric through the arm on the Sailrite machine. We made sure that we joined each panel with the bulk of the sail away from the machine and held the panel to go under the arm in a fairly tight roll with split drainpipe as clips. That works pretty well for the building of the sail but becomes more problematic when finishing, I.e. adding the sacrificial strip - reinforcing fan patches are almost impossible to roll as they are 10 - 12 pieces of fabric thick. Several needles were broken when trying to force the patches through!
__________________

__________________
Sail repairs by cruisers for cruisers
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 17:53   #92
Registered User
 
Kestrahl's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Malaysia
Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Posts: 262
Re: Sailrite Kits... Do it yourself sailmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr69 View Post
I am not a sailmaker or sail designer but I can have some input on this discussion. using a cad program makes sail designing much easier for the tri-radial and complex type sails. but that is good only for the designers who use them. the actual shape of the sails have been with us for many years. they can best be done using a crosscut design. just don't last as long or keep thier shape in different wind speeds. chord shapes and selection of them are not hard to do. they were done long before computers. but radial designs without the plaid cut would be impossible without a computer. as for the sewing, the expert sewer only sews sails, not designs them, they are good because they sew straight and fast. almost any sailrite sewing machine owner can sew the sail and have the same sail. won't look as good perhaps but if he didn't screw up too badly he would have the same sail as a expert sewer. I make all my own sails; for a soling 1 meter. (rc boat)
OK. Using a CAD program makes sail designing easier for all sails. Without it you are ball park on shape, unless all the sails you are making are for the same boat and you can do some trial and error. You can easily make a radial cut sail without the computer and only shape the horizontal seams. One sail maker in NZ still makes radial skiff gennakers without the computer. Just being radial cut doesn't make a sail last longer or keep its shape, depends on fabric used, type and size of boat etc. Most race Dacron sails are cross cut.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 10:26   #93
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Re: Sailrite Kits... Do it yourself sailmaking

This is probably not the right thread, but I was looking for advice on DIY nylon downwind flat sails for multihulls. I have a tri and was planning on tacking the two lower points of a triangle on the amas and hauling up the third with the spin halyard. I thought I saw advice and some instructions on that somewhere on this site a couple of months ago but cannot find it now. I have a considerable amount of tradewinds downwind in my future, I hope. thanks for any thoughts.
__________________
thannever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 23:22   #94
Registered User
 
cwyckham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Niagara 35
Posts: 1,870
Re: Sailrite Kits... Do it yourself sailmaking

This is commonly done with symmetric spinnakers. Many are available cheaply used

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Chris
SailMentor.com - Become the Confident Skipper of Your Own Sailboat
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 08:36   #95
Registered User
 
w32honu's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Posts: 432
Images: 2
Re: Sailrite Kits... Do it yourself sailmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thannever View Post
This is probably not the right thread, but I was looking for advice on DIY nylon downwind flat sails for multihulls. I have a tri and was planning on tacking the two lower points of a triangle on the amas and hauling up the third with the spin halyard. I thought I saw advice and some instructions on that somewhere on this site a couple of months ago but cannot find it now. I have a considerable amount of tradewinds downwind in my future, I hope. thanks for any thoughts.
Used sails is a great way to go. If you decide to DIY the folks at Sailrite would most likely provide some advice. These days most all sailmakers use CAD programs to design their sails. They are no exception. The kits consist of precut panels. All materials are provided to paste the panels together for stitching. Easy to follow instructions. And good support if you run into a road block.

Don't mean to promote a total endorsement of Sailrite. I have no vested interest in their business. I just through that out because that is the thread topic.

Not sure I would worry too much about cutting an overly flat downwind sail. Especially a spinnaker. If you go with a symmetric spin tacked down to the Amas. You could just depower by choking the sail down…….ease up for more power. Seems to me an asymmetric would work equally as well. That totally opens up the used sail market for you……….

Good luck with the sailing plans. We are envious.

__________________
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 09:11   #96
Registered User
 
w32honu's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Posts: 432
Images: 2
Re: Sailrite Kits... Do it yourself sailmaking

Thannever,

Not sure if you read the entire thread………

But there is a short video in the earlier pages that shows a spinnaker that was built from a kit. Might help to have a look at that……. Gives us an idea of what is possible.

__________________
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 12:41   #97
Registered User
 
cwyckham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Niagara 35
Posts: 1,870
Re: Sailrite Kits... Do it yourself sailmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post

Not sure I would worry too much about cutting an overly flat downwind sail. Especially a spinnaker. If you go with a symmetric spin tacked down to the Amas. You could just depower by choking the sail down…….ease up for more power. Seems to me an asymmetric would work equally as well. That totally opens up the used sail market for you……….

Good luck with the sailing plans. We are envious.

Yes, in lighter conditions (when you'd be using a spinnaker), you're often faster on a bit of a broad reach. An assym would be better for that (still tacked to the windward ama).

Either way, if you're using it for downwind, I don't think you want it to be very flat.

It might be worth asking around the catamaran forums or groups for your particular boat to see if people are using symmetric or assymetric.
__________________
Chris
SailMentor.com - Become the Confident Skipper of Your Own Sailboat
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 13:01   #98
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Re: Sailrite Kits... Do it yourself sailmaking

thanks for the suggestions. my concern about a spinnaker is that all the extra material that gives that sail the shape and power when used right makes it harder to deal with when things go wrong and I am liable to be short handed
(by choice!?). Not having a lot of experience with spinnakers I am worried about wraps and lowering the sail on deck instead of the ocean although I guess a sock mostly solves that problem and I have used that a few times successfully on a smaller boat. I have successfully used a large genoa tacked to an ama for a variation on a wing on wing rig, but it wasn't ideal largely due to the heavy weight of the genoa. I am not sure what was meant by choking down on the spinnaker. Does that mean suck part of it into the sock? All i really want is a failsafe sail that will keep me moving 12 to 15 knots in a straight line down the trades.
__________________
thannever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 13:25   #99
Registered User
 
cwyckham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Niagara 35
Posts: 1,870
Re: Sailrite Kits... Do it yourself sailmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thannever View Post
thanks for the suggestions. my concern about a spinnaker is that all the extra material that gives that sail the shape and power when used right makes it harder to deal with when things go wrong and I am liable to be short handed
(by choice!?). Not having a lot of experience with spinnakers I am worried about wraps and lowering the sail on deck instead of the ocean although I guess a sock mostly solves that problem and I have used that a few times successfully on a smaller boat. I have successfully used a large genoa tacked to an ama for a variation on a wing on wing rig, but it wasn't ideal largely due to the heavy weight of the genoa. I am not sure what was meant by choking down on the spinnaker. Does that mean suck part of it into the sock? All i really want is a failsafe sail that will keep me moving 12 to 15 knots in a straight line down the trades.
12-15 knots? What boat do you have?

I love my sock. You may also think about using a heavier spinnaker. They're a bit harder to find on the used market, but certainly around. Racers call them a "shy kite."
__________________
Chris
SailMentor.com - Become the Confident Skipper of Your Own Sailboat
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 14:48   #100
Registered User
 
w32honu's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Posts: 432
Images: 2
Re: Sailrite Kits... Do it yourself sailmaking

Choking down a symmetric spinnaker would be to run two lines from each clew on the sail..…..one led aft like normal and one forward almost at the bow of the Ama. Tensioning the forward led sheet would choke down or flatten the spinnaker somewhat. That should de-power the sail.

That said this technique is usually used for better control and to dampen rolling on a monohull. So in the big scope of life I wouldn't think twice about it in your case. I just tossed that out because you were considering a "flat" cut spinnaker which seemed like defeating the purpose of a spinnaker in the first place.

Personally I would consider an asymmetric. You would probably get much more utility from it by tacking it down to the windward ama when on a deep run. And then you would have the versatility of tacking it down to the bow of the main hull to sail on a close reach, much higher on the wind. Lots of bang for the one sail.

What trimaran design do you have?? We have become interested in the trimaran club as well…………………

Cheers
__________________
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 15:14   #101
Registered User
 
cwyckham's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: Niagara 35
Posts: 1,870
Re: Sailrite Kits... Do it yourself sailmaking

I didn't notice that you're on a tri. If you really are going to be up in the 10-15 knot range for boatspeed, then you're starting to get into the realm of apparent wind sailing where you're reaching everywhere. You'll be on a close reach when at 150 degrees to the true wind in the right conditions.

In this case, an asym is going to be your sail of choice for sure, as w32 says.
__________________

__________________
Chris
SailMentor.com - Become the Confident Skipper of Your Own Sailboat
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sailrite

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Sailrite LS-1 Walking Foot Canvas Sewing Machine with Monster Wheel & Extras hanks Classifieds Archive 2 29-01-2014 14:00
For Sale: FS: Sailrite Sewing Machines – New Northstar Classifieds Archive 7 15-11-2013 08:29
For Sale: Sailrite Yachtsman Sewing Machine keepondancin Classifieds Archive 8 03-05-2012 07:39
For Sale: Sailrite Sailmaker Sewing Machine denny Classifieds Archive 19 05-10-2011 14:30
For Sale: Thompson / Sailrite PW301 Mini-Walker Sewing Machine CarolinaGypsy Classifieds Archive 4 25-06-2011 14:46



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.