Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2007, 15:52   #1

Boat: Moody 471
Send a message via Skype™ to Borden
Sailmaker in USA any recommendations?

We are looking for a new genoa for our Moody 471 (700 sq ft) to fit on our Scheafer furling gear.

Our intention is long term sailing and circumnavigation so we are looking for good quality/cut dacron crusing sails.

Given the strength of the GB pound against the US dollar we are considering purchasing from a US loft.

Any recommendations for a quality outfit would be appreciated.

Thanks

Colin
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 16:06   #2

Not UK City Island...

Try Hood RI
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 17:26   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The market is pretty close these days from talking to friends buying sails. If you can put together a pretty tight spec of what you want then I think you'll fair best by asking for a lot of replies. Locally Quantum has been winning on price here. These are not contracts exported to China but actually made here.

That is the new twist. The company takes the bid and exports the contract. It makes shopping by brand pretty much moot. These days the design has been highly automated with CAD deign systems so it leaves little left. The key is knowing exactly what you need and want. If you can put that in an email I think you can get the best deal.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 18:53   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
These guys are good:

My first choice....

Old 19-04-2007, 20:55   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I really like the quality of the 375 sq. ft. main and 500 sq. ft. roller reefing genoa that Quantum Sails just made for me in this past year. The sevice was good too. They delivered as scheduled. They are world wide as well!
Welcome to Quantum Sail Design Group

Their prices were much the same as Hood and some others................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 22:05   #6

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch
"Sails by Morgan" in Cocoa, Florida. Scott is a nice guy and really stands behind his work, which is getting harder and harder to find these days.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 07:53   #7

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
That is the new twist. The company takes the bid and exports the contract. It makes shopping by brand pretty much moot.
Amen to that! I had no idea when I ordered from Scott Sails (Annapolis & FL) that they were offshoring the build. Found out the hard way when we were scheduled to depart and the new sail was "held up in Customs" at port of entry... say what??? Maryland has quirky laws but Customs?

That said the construction seems good, no problems with fit etc.

Old 22-04-2007, 12:12   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Mack Sails

Just got a new full batten Main, 130% Genoa, and 1.5oz cruising chute from Mack Sails in Florida http://macksails.com/. They also sourced a new boom for me and some new rigging from their rigging shop. Pricing was very competitive, Travis answered all my questions. I did the measurements and the sails all fit very nicely according to my measurements. Delivery was right on time and no problems shipping all the was across the country. I also believe they do all the sail mfg. in house so no problems with translating into Chinese and back to English. They miter cut their jibs for better control of stretch in the cloth. Not many still do the additional layout and sewing that that requires.

Unfortunately, the boom mfg. cut the boom 6" short so can't get proper outhaul tension when the wind is up. They were great to deal with in solving the problem. I get a new boom of the proper length. They were willing to recut the sail but said shortening the foot of the sail was a major rework that would involve a total rebuild of the sail. A new boom was a better solution.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 17:52   #9

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I have Mack sails and a "mack pack" on Roshambo, i have also had some sail work done there in the past. Great guys who know what they are doing and take some pride in their work.

Yes they do all the sailwork in house, it's a pretty funky shop, but they have it setup really well.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 05:21   #10

Boat: Moody 471
Send a message via Skype™ to Borden
Thanks all, your suggestions are much appreciated.

I'll now start composing some emails!

Cheers
Colin
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 21:58   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais

That is the new twist. The company takes the bid and exports the contract. It makes shopping by brand pretty much moot. These days the design has been highly automated with CAD deign systems so it leaves little left. The key is knowing exactly what you need and want. If you can put that in an email I think you can get the best deal.
Paul,

Many good points in your post.

To buy over the internet you need to be able to perform your own measurements which is pretty simple. We send our clients a nice measurement worksheet.

Having spent time in our loft in Thailand I'm always amused by the anti-Asian sentiment in some of these threads. It's hard to find people in the US who want to spend their career sewing up sails. It's hard work. Our hand finished details come out better than many domestic made sails. Our new loft is a state of the art 100,000 square foot facility. The people that work there enjoy a western style work environment, excellent wages, and many have stuck around for 10 or more years. They like their jobs. I've had sailmakers here in the US compliment the quality of our work.

I've got clients with over 20000 hard cruising miles on their sails. Noone has complained about the quality or finish. Ever. We've got one customer that has done multiple Pacific crossings about to order his mizzen. We started with his genoa, built a main, and now will build his mizzen.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 18:21   #12

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Paul - after much research and price comparison, I've decided on Rolly Tasker offshore main and mizzen they appear very well made with many custom features- I've got a quote from National Sails which is very good but will give you the opportunity to quote as well. Quantum was double and even a loft in Canada who uses Rolley Tasker was almost double the National quote. I will PM you with the request.
Old 24-04-2007, 18:24   #13

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Dave - Sorry I mistakingly addressed you as Paul.
Old 24-04-2007, 21:36   #14

Boat: Westsail 32
I like Port Townsend Sails. Excellent craftsmenship, though you pay for it. But with sails, I've found you almost always pay for what you get. If you want a main that will truly last a circumnavigation, it should cost at least a few thousand dollars for your 41'. Shopping by price doesn't pay in the end.

Fair leads,
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 00:03   #15

Boat: Westsail 32
There is Carol Hasse (Port Townsend Sails) and then there is everyone else. For twice the price you get twice the quality.

-Warren
Mico Verde Yacht Sailing Blog Journals
micoverde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailmaker