Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2007, 07:17   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by micoverde
There is Carol Hasse (Port Townsend Sails) and then there is everyone else. For twice the price you get twice the quality.

-Warren
Mico Verde Yacht Sailing Blog Journals
I dont know that I totally agree on this point.

I did a lot of research before buying Estrella's new suit of sails. While I met a lot of people who owned Hasse/Quantum/North sails etc. tell me the quality of the chinese sailmakers was sub par and that they wouldnt last etc. etc. I never found one dissatisfied customer of Lee Sails. I found one that had measurement problems but if you do your own measuring wrong I bet Carol Hasse will also give you the wrong shaped sail.

That said, I got to inspect a Carol Hasse full batten main that had just gone through one circumnavigation as Nancy Early's mainsail. She was selling it because the fabric was blown out. The craftsmanship was fine but the material didnt outlast it. The sail was only a few years old but had been around the world.

The Lee Sails I inspected had thicker leather chafe protection and more of it, also the same number of stiitching rows applied in the same fashion.

At that same swap meet I met a fellow selling a brand new unused Lee genoa he had for 10 years. I thought maybe i would find my first dissastisfied customer and asked him why he was selling it.

Turned out he built his own boat, and for the price he was able to afford twice the number of sails from Lee. He bought 7 sails. He then sailed his boat to New Zealand and back over the course of 10 years and never had occasion to use that sail. He went on to say he was very happy with the other 6 sails he used and would buy from Lee again.

I got great service from my Lee rep and my sails are excecllent. For the price of half a Hasse mainsail I got all three sails on Estrella. If the challenge dacron that they are made out of (which is the same stuff many of the US lofts use) wont last a circumnavigation then I would rather be at the Seattle swap meet selling a blown out Lee sail that I paid 1/4 the price for than a Carol Hasse sail for which I paid an arm and a leg.

If you are in the UK looking for good quality and prices check china. If you are looking to find a way to spend pounds for dollars in the US see any Port Townsend business (Brion Toss, Carol Hasse, Artful Dodger etc) ;-)

just my .02
Adam Yuret
s/v Estrella
Magellan 36' Ketch
www.sailestrella.com
AdamY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2007, 17:13   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I was in Phuket Thailand and talked to some sailors over there that were very unsatisfied with the quality of the workmanship and the run-around they got from the sailmaker there. I was ready to order a cruising chute and then decided not to after seeing eyebrows raise.
In the past, I have gone to Hood. The sew here as well as manufacture their own cloth. Never had any problems with their quality.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailmaker