Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 16:08   #1

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Sailmaker in Bundaberg?

Does anyone here have any recommendations for a sailmaker in the Bundaberg area?

We blew out our headsail (yankee) yesterday coming into the Great Sandy Straight at the bottom of Fraser Island.
It's probably worn out. We repaired it twice coming across the Pacific last year but this time it ripped from top to bottom.

Local Bundaberg sailmakers don't appear to have websites so it's pot luck as to getting someone good, or an ex-post bag stitcher starting a new life.

There are the usual big names in Brisbane, Hood, North, Doyle etc but just wondered if any members on CF know anyone local to Bundaberg.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 16:33   #2

Re: Sailmaker in Bundaberg?

Port Canvas & Sail Repairs 0412 494 333 or (07) 4159 5115

The loft is a 2 minute walk from Bundaberg Port Marina, my boats in the marina there and they will be making me a new main and mizzen shortly....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 16:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Port Canvas & Sail Repairs 0412 494 333 or (07) 4159 5115

The loft is a 2 minute walk from Bundaberg Port Marina, my boats in the marina there and they will be making me a new main and mizzen shortly....
Thanks IHopper, I saw their number in a google search and short listed them and one called Pacific Blue.
I'll give them a call. It will be easier to use them as local because they can use the old sail for measurements etc.

Vic

Old 12-05-2014, 17:28   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Thanks IHopper, I saw their number in a google search and short listed them and one called Pacific Blue.
I'll give them a call. It will be easier to use them as local because they can use the old sail for measurements etc.

Vic
Vic, don't be tempted to do that! No sailmaker worth using will want to make a sail from measuring the remains of an old and stretched ancestor!

An essential part of the sailmaking process is coming to the boat and getting on site measurements from which to design the new sail. Don't settle for less!

And sorry to hear 'bout that, mate! We're going through the same thing here for a replacement Solent jib.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 12-05-2014, 18:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Vic, don't be tempted to do that! No sailmaker worth using will want to make a sail from measuring the remains of an old and stretched ancestor!

An essential part of the sailmaking process is coming to the boat and getting on site measurements from which to design the new sail. Don't settle for less!

And sorry to hear 'bout that, mate! We're going through the same thing here for a replacement Solent jib.

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim,
Thanks for that tip.
I've spoken to Port Canvass and he certainly seems to know his stuff, and concurs with you in that they ALWAYS do their own measuring on board.

The sail that ripped was made by North in 2009 in S. Africa, so they believe they can get the details, measurements etc from their office there.

At least it will give me a comparative quote.

It looks like we'll be exploring Fraser for a bit longer than we thought!

Vic

Old 12-05-2014, 18:40   #6

Yes Vic as Jim pointed out, and yes he won't use old sails for measurements....

And yes again, he is very good and does know his stuff.....

John
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 22:29   #7

Boat: Perry 43 Catamaran

Beware, if you do use Port canvas in Bundaberg. Make sure you have a fixed quote, as well as another to compare to. I got badly burnt with this business, charged well over (multiples over) and they got the colour wrong, then got threatened with physical violence, then they had the nerve to call the police. Then they reported it to the slipway, so I had to pay the bill to get relaunched. The workmanship was good, if you ignore the fact that they got the colour wrong and overcharged, and did the job without authority and refused to rectify the situation.
Good luck.
HueyHuey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailmaker