Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 10:08   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
sailmaker

Anyone recommend a sailmaker/repair person in the San Diego area? Anyone order their new sails from overseas? I need new sails, stitching is sorta gone in a lot of places. Sails are about 15+ years old.

Thanks

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 15:51   #2

Boat: Manta 40- "Savannah"
I've worked with Ullman in San Diego quite a bit over the years and found them to be professional and reliable.
Sail Warehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 15:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Warehouse View Post
I've worked with Ullman in San Diego quite a bit over the years and found them to be professional and reliable.

Thanks. I visited them briefly this past Friday. There is simply alot of research to do in settling in on a set of sails. I was going to bring Ullman just my main to examine per their request, but after testing the sails using some techniques taught to me, it is clear that these sails are simply far past their prime. They really do need to be replaced and not repaired.

And my gut tells me there will be huge variance in pricing.

So.... this means many hours of hunting and learning and reading posts here and on SSCA.

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:50   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Michael--

Both Quantum and UK-Halsey have lofts in San Diego and can provide suitable sails for your yacht at reasonable prices. If you were racing Ullman, North et al might be preferred but you are not. While "mail order" sails can be less costly, given that your yacht is not a "class" boat, I would be reluctant to buy something from a loft that cannot have a sailmaker come to tne boat to take accurate measurements. A well fitted sail is no more costly than a poorly fitted one and it is not unusual to find that some adjustments are necessary before the finished product is satisfactory.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:02   #5

Boat: KP 44
new sails

We had a new suite of sails made by Point Sails in San Diego. The owner Chip is a good guy and did a great job. He came out to measure and had no problem taking the sails back for a little tweak and then returning them for a final fitting. We have been very happy with the performance and construction. He has built several sails for friends of ours as well. My only complaint was that his delivery dates wernt even close. He is a small loft and at the time he was just starting out.

Mike
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailmaker