Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 05:39   #1

Sailing Sounds

Aside from the sounds of wind whistling through the rigging and the waves hitting the hull or spray splashing the dodger or the deck... what sounds does your boat make? (no engine noises here... just sailing)

Does the hull "creak"... do you hear your steering or your auto pilot "working"?

Winches, of course make noise when trimming.... and sails slap and flog when tacking... but when you are basically sailing along on one tack what sounds do you hear from your boat?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:13   #2

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
It is funny that you should bring that up. Just last week I mentioned to my wife that as we moved along, it seemed as though the boat was alive. No real sounds that I could describe more vibrations and movements that made Tivoli appear alive. Almost spooky, but I love it.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:32   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mainly just the contented gurgle of the water that says she's hit cruising speed in good wx. In really BAD wx, there can a symphony of splash-bang-creak-groan as the hull twists and the entire rig transfers the motions down the keel. But once you realize what each sound comes from, and that she's just grunting as she works...it's still music. As long as the noises are regular, there's nothing to worry about.

It's when you hear one "gunshot" on deck followed by a ricochet of metal or plastic that you have to start playing "Where's Waldo?" and start worrying.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 13:20   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I was told that the nastiest thing you can do to a racing yacht is to go and buy a 1/4" 316 stainless bolt, put it in a vice and snap it in half and then throw the head of the bolt onto the racing boat when nobody is looking... when that broken bolt head is found, the whole crew will spend hours looking for where that broken bolt came from!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 13:37   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

ROFL! A wonderful cruel thing to do when passing alongside (or being passed by) another boat!

Even better if it rolls off their deck before they can quite catch it, that way no one has any idea WHAT broke, but they're Real Damn Sure something did.<G>

These are the reasons yachting is considered a sport for gentlemen, right?<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 19:09   #6
Kai Nui

Having sailed on boats of many materials, I have found something exclusive to wood boats. When sailing at night they sing in the water. It is hard to describe. There is the usual gurgling of the water as it passes the stern, but wood boats have something else. The sound is very musical. Almost erie, but yet, calming. Call me crazy if you like, but I have heard the same from other wood boat sailors. The other sounds, that of blocks losing tension, then snapping taut. The clunk of the rudder on the pintles as a swell passes under. The wind singing through the rigging. The ensign snapping...
Old 09-11-2006, 20:55   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It's the lack of sounds that I enjoy.................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 21:52   #8

On a quiet night you can hear her rusting........
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 22:59   #9
Kai Nui

It's not rusting, it's becoming one with the sea
Old 09-11-2006, 23:29   #10

My favourite sailing sound was the creak of the leather on the gaff throat of the main against the fir mast on a sail training ship I used to work on.
During the day when the decks were busy you never noticed it but on the helm at night it was a constant companion.
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 00:27   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Kai,
My old wood Garden ketch used to make the most beautiful creaking and humming when sailing on a close reach in about 15 knots of wind. Of course the water whooshing past the hull from wave to wave was an added plus. Just a wonderful sound. Someone gave a cassette tape many years ago of the noises of an old wood boat while sailing. I played that thing until it disappeared. Love to have a CD of it.
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 00:52   #12

Boat: Lotus 10.6
What about the smells and tastes of the sea?
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 18:28   #13

A few nights ago in southern California the ocean had a pungent sort of sulphury smell that coincided with phosporescence. I was out for a sunset cruise and after dark I toddled around for an hour watching the fish (mackeral?) shooting around with their comet trails. Good bit of design there, endlessly entertaining.
yotphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 18:36   #14

wood boats

hey kai nui,

your comment makes me think about a friend of mine with a cold-mold process hull. the boat is 46' one of a kind, 1973. weighs 40k lbs. he reported his surprise and delight to the lack of noise when sailing, especially in higher seas 10-12 ft.

he is a very experienced sailor with a large history of fiberglass sailing.
that was the reason for his comment. he was used to the load slapping of water against the hull.......

thought i would share the thought..

happy winds

gh
gharr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 18:39   #15

As for favorite sounds when sailing, all the above, of course.

and as for me, no radios or stereos allowed during the day......
gharr8 is offline   Reply With Quote