Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2006, 18:48   #16
Kai Nui

JohnL, Unfortunately, I just sold my last wood boat, or I would make you a CD. One more sail left when the new owner gets out here. It is an interesting orchestra that goes on, especially at night. The phosforessence (sp) of the fish, the water singing off the stern, the smell of the ocean, sometimes pungent, sometimes sweet, but always unique. Adding a back beat with the occasional quiet creak of the stove swinging on the gimbles, the rudder keeping tempo in the pintles. and the steady crescendo of the waves as they roll under the boat, and break ahead of you.
Del, silence? Then again, those quite calms, surrounded by fog... But still, there is the occasional snap against the hull as a ripple from some unfelt breeze a hundred miles away finally reaches the boat.
As for dropping a bolt in the bilge, even that is a nice sound on a late watch. Of course, when you drop the hook and try to fall asleep for a day or two, those little noises can drive you crazy.
Old 10-11-2006, 18:50   #17
Kai Nui

gh, that was one of the biggest annoyances when we bought our plastic boat. Trying to fall asleep with the waves slapping against the hull. It took years to get used to it. The wood boat IS much quieter.
Old 10-11-2006, 20:30   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

KN-
I'll take your word on the sound of wood. I knew one large plastic boat that actually made the sound of water gurgling down a drain pipe--exact same sound as a shower draining down a PVC drain pipe--when at sea in brisk wx. I never found out what was gurgling, a hull fitting or the hull itself, but it certainly wasn't aesthetic!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 20:35   #19
Kai Nui

Some like jazz, some like classical It has always been music to my ears
Old 11-11-2006, 01:22   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Da ja vo!

Wooden boats are definitly comfortable. The best sleep I use to get was aboard the old heavy cruiser. Teak, Mahogany and White Oak. Like Kai Nui says; at night the crackling songs of the creatures under hull with the slight motion of a wave working the joints all brings back the best years........._/)

delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote