Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 13:15   #1

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28
Sail Cleaning Caution

Recently my 135 genoa shredded in a storm. When my sailmaker, who had made this North laminate sail for me, examined it he pointed out that the the original UV cover had been replaced with a product that provided 1/3 of the required UV protection. In addition, he said it had been installed incorrectly. That work had been done by Sail Care at a cost of nearly $1000! When I told him that Sail Care had also cleaned the sail he said that their process should never be used on a laminate sail and had caused my sail to deteriorate. Sail Care denies these accusations and has refused to return my cost of cleaning and UV cover replacement and/or pay for a replacement sail.
Interestingly, while shopping for new sails, several other major sailmakers have expressed the same opinion, that the Sail Care process in inappropriate for laminate sails, will cause them to deteriorate, and have had customers with similar experiences. Be very cautious before sending your sails to Sail Care!
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, sail