Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2013, 06:55   #1

Boat: 1968 40' C&C Crusader
Running Rigging on a 40 ft C&C Crusader

last year i bought a 40 ft C&C Crusader, hauled it out redone the bottom , installed a new Perkins and transmission shaft prop,and cutlass, redone the fueltanks and now on to the Running rigging, Having never owned a sailboat before And Wanting to learn sailing , cannot find any information on the running rigging, there was No lines in the boat , so i don't know where to start , is there any info on what line size ,length ,routing etc, on this vessel any one knows of I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE any help ,as want to do all this myself ,as to know the vessel as well as possible, The C&C company is out of business so I have now way to contact them, thanks any one
DeWayne
busymacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 07:19   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Running rigging can vary greatly from boat to boat. Do you know if your halyards are inside the mast or outside? Are they run to the cockpit? Any furling system for the genny and main? How many reef points in the main? Does it have a traveler and is it rigged for control lines? Topping lift? Vang? Downhaul? Outhaul? Is the mast standing and are there messenger lines for the halyards?

You need some help, my friend. Not necessarily a paid proffesional, but at least someone that has sailed.
Old 13-11-2013, 07:45   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Running Rigging on a 40 ft C&C Crusader

bout to open a can of worms now but , your best bet would be to find a local Yacht Club and get ahold of one of the "racers" to help you rig the boat..
Reason being, there's more to racing than just having all your sails flying and passing people on the water, its having everything in its place to opperate at a maximum working order when under sail.. where to route the lines with as little friction and still being out from under your feet while on deck..
The most I ever learned about cruising, I learned on the deck of a race boat...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 08:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, DeWayne.

THE C&C PHOTO ALBUM & RESOURCE CENTER
C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 13:55   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Dewayne,

That's a pretty big project you have. I would go along with Randy and go find a racer who can help you.

Alternatively get a book called "the riggers apprentice" by Brion Toss. It is pretty much the tretis on this type of rigging, and can help you work thru the equations that will help select the best line for every purpose.

Just remember on most modern boats, with modern line we are sizing for handling characteristics more than for strength. Which can lead to some pretty interesting multi tapered lines when you get really detailed with it. It's fine for racers, but gets a bit silly for anything but a Grand Prix team. Of course I have four step tapered lines because I am nuts and like doing the work.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 17:22   #6

You might try the following.
The entire collection of C&C drawings resides at the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes in Kingston, Ontario. As the Owner of a C&C Frigate and previously a Corvette, I purchased drawings from the Marine Museum, which helped in restoration work. You might find the original drawings there. That said, if you do find them, things may, or likely will have changed since 1967-8, but if nothing else, they will serve as a basis for replacement of same or equivalent equipment.
Cheers, pcmaato
pcmaato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:27   #7

Boat: C &C Crusader 40

Dewayne,

I own a 68 Crusader Hull #2 berthed on Lake Ponchatrain in Louisiana. Have done a refit or two over the last 15 yrs or so. Can give you my experiences. Currently going thru major restoration now.
Murray
S/V Blue Eyes
Murray Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:42   #8

DeWayne, Murray,
I am Peter Cohrs of Kingston, ON, Canada. I own a '68 Frigate and formerly a
'70 Corvette. We HAVE an association for Corvettes, Invaders, Frigates, and Crusaders. The common thread is that all of these boats are C&C designed keel centreboarders (except the Invader) and were built by Belleville Marine Yard. We encourage all BMY boat Owners to join our enthusiastic association. It is a forum for repairs, restoration, information. If nothing else, to help us with our archive of what boat is where, perhaps you would send us photos of your boat(s), work you have done on them, and of course the hull number(s). Our email address is
info@ CorvetteSailboatAssociation.com. I have pics of a few Crusaders, namely Spirit, Crusader VI, Valkyrie and Paramoor. I've only seen one "in the flesh", that being Crusader VI . Look forward to your pics and information, if you choose to do so. Cheers, "pcmaato".
pcmaato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:00   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Peter (pcmaato).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging