Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2014, 08:58   #1

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Running Backstay Installation

I can't believe this topic hasn't already been covered but if it has I can't find the thread.........

I'm doing some rig re-design and planning on installing runners. Sloop rig with a babystay quite low down (about 1/3 of the way up the mast). There's also an attachment for an inner-forestay about 3/4 of the way up the mast which I intend to use sometimes (for a storm-jib stay and spinnaker pole topping lift).

I'm thinking i'll stick two sets of pad-eyes on the mast, one set level with the babystay and the other with the inner forestay and run some low-stretch line from each of the pad eyes to a single line that then goes down to deck.

Question: can I offset the runners from their corresponding forward-leading stays? It would be nice to put the lower set a little higher than the babystay and the upper set a little lower than the inner forestay.

Any suggestions? Anything I'm missing?
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:01   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Running Backstay Installation

Your use of runners depends on what you are trying to accomplish--stabilize a pumping mast in seaway, control mainsail shape, or offset the load on the inner forestay. It also depends on how bendy the mast is.

I'm guessing in your case, but you probably don't need the lower checkstay and a babystay unless your mast is a real skinny noodle and you are trying to tweak mainsail shape. I'd put the runners within a foot of the inner forestay to avoid undesirable bending loads.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:37   #3

Typically ,( but not always) your runners would attach to the fittings for the inner forestay. If there is a bolt through the mast, you can just add tangs to the ends of the bolt, and not have to put anymore holes in the mast. You might have to use a somewhat longer bolt. If the forestay fitting is just screwed to the mast, it probably extends around the sides, and you could make tangs that use the existing screw holes, again with longer screws. If the forestay fitting is welded, then start boring holes. There are a lot of riggers on CF, so I suspect you will get more and better advice. Good Luck. _______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 05:12   #4

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Thanks. The purpose is to reduce mast pump in a heavy seaway. The baby stay is already installed. Seems a bit odd that the previous owner would have installed it without having anything on the back side to complement it. I'm not entirely convinced that it achieves anything at the moment since mast inversion isn't really a concern.

The inner-forestay fitting is welded, so I think holes are unavoidable unfortunately.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation