Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2017, 07:16   #1

Rub rail keeps popping out

1993 Catalina 30.

PO had the rub rail replaced by their marina after some minor damage. Before I purchased the boat they made me aware that even light bumps would pop out the rub rail at the point of "impact" virtually anywhere around the perimeter of the boat. They have worked out kinks by "massaging" the loop of rub rail round to the stern where they have removed over 1 foot of rub rail. This extra length may be due to having the rail replaced in the winter.

It continues to be a real PITA.

We have tried compressing the metal housing with clamps and hammering with a clock of wood all to no avail.

Does anyone see an issue with using some kind of adhesive on the rear of the rail to effectively adhere it to the hull?

If you think it's a viable solution, what adhesive would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:38   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Rub rail keeps popping out

Adhesive should not be required, I've replaced a couple, on the link attached, you may be able to note that the "grooves" in the back are unequal, the screws in the metal part are not in the center, so if the correct insert is installed "upside down" the screws push it back out. Second possibility is they didn't use the right insert to start with. I have some leftovers and could send you a short piece to compare if needed.
Catalina Direct: Rubrail C-30 Grey Vinyl
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:53   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Rub rail keeps popping out

Womble,
Winter is the very worst time to install a vinyl rub rail--whether inside or outside. Even in a Summer installation, the rub rail is soaked in hot water to make it more pliable and have the ability to stretch the rubber insert when installed so that it ensures a tight fit. The reason the rail is popping off when it is hit is that it is too loose and needs to be completely removed, and restretched properly before re-installation. There is nothing short of a total removal that will solve your problem. I hope this helps. Good luck and safe sailing. P.S. How are the ends of the vinyl/rubbber insert attached to the rub rail at the terminal ends(stern/aft)? Is there a secure attachment at the bow? These are critical components to a good installation.