Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2017, 04:35   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Ropework tools

What tools are you using with rope work?

I started with the basics (marlin spike, pocket knife, sailmakers' needles, rigger's palm) and over the years have slowly added small items.

Below are the items I currently use for making soft shackles.

A few weeks ago I purchased two "splicing needles" from EMF Marine at the Düsseldorf boat show. Photo is also attached. They make splicing double braid very easy. My first attempts several years ago failed when I tried to use fids as seen above in combination with old line. I gave up in disgust and didn't attempt this again until last week.

Interestingly, I saw similar "splicing needles" from Marlow in a link StuM recently posted. This is how they look and function:
https://www.marlowropes.com/product/...licing-needles

Exploring a bit, I also found these from Outdoor Xscape:
Medium Splicing Needle - Best Prices for Rope in the UK. Sailing, Yachting Climbing and decking Rope by the meter - (Powered by CubeCart)

And as well these "splicing wands" from Brion Toss Yacht Riggers:
Brion Toss Yacht Riggers, Sailboat Rigging::Splicing Gear

The D-Splicer pulling needles seem to be a lighter weight version of this with the eye of the needle the full length. Are these used just on single braid Dyneema?
https://d-splicer.com/splicing-techniques-2/

Other than these needles is there anything else other members have found useful? I am sure many of us are missing out on heaps of useful new innovations.

SWL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0354.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	151219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2524.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	151221  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 04:39   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Ropework tools

Ah, thank God! We get to talk about something interesting again, like ropework.

I use the D-Splicer on single braid (and the superb Dyneema scissors from the same company).

But this is only a fairly minor improvement on a ballpoint pen. I don't think any special tools are really essential for splicing single braid.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 04:50   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Ah, thank God! We get to talk about something interesting again, like ropework.

I use the D-Splicer on single braid (and the superb Dyneema scissors from the same company).

But this is only a fairly minor improvement on a ballpoint pen. I don't think any special tools are really essential for splicing single braid.

My ceramic knife has now bluntened awfully. I am not on board at the moment and have none of my gear with me anyway, so I have resorted to using a 1€ disposable knife with snap off blades and this is working reasonably. It is just not very pleasant handling bad equipment, so those scissors look enticing .

SWL

Old 24-02-2017, 05:06   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I keep on adding to my rope gear, somehow I keep on buying more whipping twine even though I've probably got enough to make a full halyard
I have various fids and those splicing needles (which I got from a German splicer/author many years ago before Marlow had them for sale) are indispensable.
Old 24-02-2017, 05:22   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
My ceramic knife has now bluntened awfully. I am not on board at the moment and have none of my gear with me anyway, so I have resorted to using a 1€ disposable knife with snap off blades and this is working reasonably. It is just not very pleasant handling bad equipment, so those scissors look enticing .

SWL
The D-Splicer microserrated dyneema scissors are absolutely brilliant. You will love them. For me, cutting dyneema with knives is an exercise in frustration, no matter how sharp the knife is. If its sharp enough, you'll get through the material, but making a really clean cut is a different matter.

I have a good friend who is a surgeon, who won't use a knife for anything. I figure she knows a thing or two about cutting stuff up. She says that scissors rule for cutting stuff precisely, and that surgeons use scalpels only on TV or when cutting skin. She says you can use scissors for just about anything up to chain saw size (she loves horror movies, too , and I sleep with one eye open when she's on board ).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 05:26   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I keep on adding to my rope gear, somehow I keep on buying more whipping twine even though I've probably got enough to make a full halyard

The recent spool I bought was Gottifredi Maffioli waxed twine. It just glides over the rope and sits so neatly. A joy to use and well worth the extra cost .

SWL

Old 24-02-2017, 05:39   #7

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

I use Selma Fids with Dyneema and Brion Toss's wands for double braid. The Selma Fids don't work very well for me with double braid for some reason.
Old 24-02-2017, 05:40   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I haven't yet seen anything produced by Gottifredi Maffioli that wasn't absolutely top quality; so I'll keep my eyes open for yet more twine The Liros twine is waxed as well and is my current favorite, but I'm willing to give the Italians a try rather than stick with the Germans.
Old 24-02-2017, 05:50   #9

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
I use Selma Fids with Dyneema and Brion Toss's wands for double braid. The Selma Fids don't work very well for me with double braid for some reason.
How do you like Brion Toss wands? Are they that much easier to use than regular fids? Just finding out if the price justifies...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 06:20   #10

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I am curious what people who have used splicing wands and needles think of them. I do a lot of splicing in double braid and find my Selma fids adequate but it seems there must be a better way. I like the looks of Brion Toss's wands, but they are pricey and I would need 2. Worth it though, if they work well.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 07:32   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I use Toss's wands and they really are the best thing since sliced toast. I haven't used the D-Splicer, but I always reach for the wands over other fids. The only time they aren't my go too tool is when splicing very very small dyneema (<2mm) where they are too large, for that I use a loop of beading wire wrapped around a wooden dowel.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 07:38   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

SWL
Btw it is possible to sharpen a ceramic blade, it isn't even that difficult. Place a partial sheet of 1000 grit silicone carbide paper on a mouse pad and draw the knife at a low angle away from the blade ten times a side. Then up to 1500 grit and do the same, then finish with 2000 grit. It takes a bit of time, but it isn't that hard.

If you have chips I need the blade then it's all over and short of buying a 1000 grit diamond power hone you just need to buy a new blade. Luckily my knife manufacturer will sell me just the blade for a couple of bucks ( ceramicknive.org ).

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 09:21   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Btw it is possible to sharpen a ceramic blade, it isn't even that difficult. Place a partial sheet of 1000 grit silicone carbide paper on a mouse pad and draw the knife at a low angle away from the blade ten times a side. Then up to 1500 grit and do the same, then finish with 2000 grit. It takes a bit of time, but it isn't that hard.

If you have chips I need the blade then it's all over and short of buying a 1000 grit diamond power hone you just need to buy a new blade. Luckily my knife manufacturer will sell me just the blade for a couple of bucks ( ceramicknive.org ).
Thanks for that advice. I will check out if replacement blades are available. I hadn't thought of doing that.

Yes, I have chips . They appeared after use on dyneema, which I can't understand. I only use a timber board under the knife. I had been using it a fair bit making soft shackles and items with the Bullseye weave last year, but the blade still seemed to blunten unreasonably quickly.

My hubbie has just bought a set of diamond sharpening "stones" for my kitchen knives. I will ask him to have a go with the ceramic knife when I get hold of it again. Nothing to lose. It is pretty useless now as is. A new blade would be ideal.

SWL

Old 24-02-2017, 09:53   #14

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
How do you like Brion Toss wands? Are they that much easier to use than regular fids? Just finding out if the price justifies...
I have two and I love 'em. It takes a bit of experimenting to learn how to trim the core after its snared to reduce the size of core lump at the snare. Splicing 12" loops is much easier with the wands than with push style fids in tight braid.
Old 24-02-2017, 10:12   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I am curious what people who have used splicing wands and needles think of them. I do a lot of splicing in double braid and find my Selma fids adequate but it seems there must be a better way. I like the looks of Brion Toss's wands, but they are pricey and I would need 2. Worth it though, if they work well.
I am only a raw beginner regarding splicing double braid, but I found it very easy using new line and a splicing needle.

The splicing needles I bought look similar to Brion Toss's, but were significantly cheaper. They sell for 23€ (US $25) for two that cover splicing 5-18 mm double braid. A bargain in my opinion. The Marlow ones are similar in price (£15 = 18€ = US $19 for two).

SWL

Tags
rope