Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-03-2013, 13:57   #16

Re: Roller Furling Main Sail Problems

From experience, here is something you might investigate. Your outhaul line will go through a block on the boom that slides in a T-slot in the boom. As you unfurl the sail the block slides back in the track towards the aft end of the boom. And as you furl the sail, the block slides forward toward the mast. All good so far. There will be a "stop" installed in the T-track in the boom somewhere towards the mast. (At least there is on my boat.) If the "stop" is installed too far aft, it will allow the furler to apply too much tension on the foot of the sail and not enough tension on the leach which will allow the leach to bag up when entering the slot in the mast and cause wrinkles. The same thing will happen when deploying the sail, again, causing too much tension on the foot relative to the tension on the leach.
Try moving the "stop" all the way towards the mast and see where the block wants to settle when the outhaul is under tension. The block will orient itself in a position that equallizes the pull on the foot and the leach throughout the process.

KnuckleDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 14:26   #17

Boat: Beneteau 393

"It has never worked very well, requiring me to get on deck and pull manually on the sail to get it all the way out. Recently it has gotten harder to deploy, so I took it down. The roller furling itself, works easily without the sail, with no obvious issues."

The "pull manually" and "works easily without the sail" suggests to me the problem is the outhaul car. The bearings could be worn and need replaced or just dirty or the track is dirty. This happened on our B331 and again on our B393.

Easy fix to try: wash the outhaul car and track with warm soapy water, rinse with clear water, let dry, spray bearings and track with McLube, let dry then give it a try.

Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 14:43   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

It's mostly the right technique. When I got my 393 ten years ago the folks at St. Barts in Charleston showed me how to furl and unfurl. It was my first boat with in-mast furling. In ten years I have jammed the sail once and that was because I got too cocky. Furling in all points of sail even in twenty knots. A contributing factor was that the sail was eight years old and a bit bagged out.

Special attention should be paid to furling the sail. It'll usually go in but if you don't do it right it wont come out.
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 10:38   #19

I think your question was how do you get the creases out /I would suggest DO NOT use an iron.I had a similar problem..Wrinkles from too much time in a bag in my case.I soaked em in clean salt water and laid them out on a lawn to dry,flipping them over at lunch.I did it for a week and rinsed them in clean fresh water when I was done.Then I took it out and used it.It worked great.

Pegleg Sands is offline   Reply With Quote

furling, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: