Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2014, 13:52   #1

Rigging the Boom

I recently switched out my mainsail. As I was removing the old and tattered one, the boom fell to the end of it's track (on the mast) and at the time I had no idea what had happened. I assumed a piece of hardware came out letting it loose. This is a new boat to me and I haven't sailed it yet.

I've put the newer mainsail on and can't figure out how to keep the boom up off of my dodger. It turns out the boom must have been crusted into the spot it was in, because there is nothing allowing me to lift the boom up on it's track (on the mast). There is a shackle hanging on the boom, presumably for a line to go in to allow me to pull the boom down.

Because of the boom not being rigged, I am unable to enclose the canvas cover to protect the mainsail. I'm not entirely sure how to rig it to be able to lift the boom up so that it is not resting on my dodger and so that I can enclose the canvas sail cover.

Any suggestions? I know this probably isn't going to be as easy as getting a line and putting it onto the boom.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1129141346a.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	92534   Click image for larger version

Name:	1129141346b.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	92535  

SassySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 13:58   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Rigging the Boom

At one stage, luff tension was set by over hoisting main, usually to a stop at masthead, and down hauling the boom by a tackle under the boom. Many times this was used with boom furling gear. Blue has this. This system usually included a main for which the bottom 6 or so slides were rigged on a jackline. This allowed the sail enough release of tension, to drop more compactly to the boom.
Old 29-11-2014, 14:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
At one stage, luff tension was set by over hoisting main, usually to a stop at masthead, and down hauling the boom by a tackle under the boom. Many times this was used with boom furling gear. Blue has this. This system usually included a main for which the bottom 6 or so slides were rigged on a jackline. This allowed the sail enough release of tension, to drop more compactly to the boom.
Hmm. I'm not sure if I follow. Is this something I can recreate with some lines or is there a whole boom furling system that used to be in place? I'm not familiar with any of this.
Old 29-11-2014, 14:18   #4

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

hi,

the boom stands on the rail by the tension of the luff of mainsail, usually a simple pin (or a small trolley with piston lock) prevents it from falling down
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 14:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil56 View Post
hi,

the boom stands on the rail by the tension of the luff of mainsail, usually a simple pin ou a small trolley prevents it from falling down
I was hoping for a fix that simple, but there's nowhere to put a pin on the track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1126141045.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	92539  
Old 29-11-2014, 14:24   #6

The mounting feet on that boom slide are heavy enough to take the sliding gooseneck fitting. This slid up with the sail, and was then downhauled to set the luff tension. Mine is 50yrs old and works perfectly. Although I no longer use the boom furling gear, converted to slab reefing.
Old 29-11-2014, 14:32   #7

Google "mainsail Jacklines", some good photos to show your type of gooseneck assembly.
Old 29-11-2014, 14:34   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Topping lift to hold the boom up. A line from the masthead to the end of the boom. Four part or more tackle usually attached somewhere aft of mid boom and to a traveller on deck to cinch the boom down and control it under sail.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 14:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
The mounting feet on that boom slide are heavy enough to take the sliding gooseneck fitting. This slid up with the sail, and was then downhauled to set the luff tension. Mine is 50yrs old and works perfectly. Although I no longer use the boom furling gear, converted to slab reefing.
Blue, thanks for the response. I am still confused as to how I can make mine work properly. Is it that I just need a line to act as the Cunningham?
Old 29-11-2014, 14:42   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I can't tell for sure from your picture, but one can usually effect a mechanical stop to limit downward travel of the sliding gooseneck. It appears from your pic that there is a countersunk flat head screw near the end of the track. If you remove that and replace with a hex or socket head cap screw, standing proud from the track, it will stop the gooseneck from falling off. IF that screw is not in a useful position, drill and tap for a similar cap screw wherever you want the stopper to be.

Jim
Old 29-11-2014, 14:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Topping lift to hold the boom up. A line from the masthead to the end of the boom. Four part or more tackle usually attached somewhere aft of mid boom and to a traveller on deck to cinch the boom down and control it under sail.
Peter, this is already set up. I'm assuming what I need is in addition to the topping lift?
Old 29-11-2014, 14:54   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

And, you may still want to rig a boom topping lift to keep the boom off the dodger.
Old 29-11-2014, 14:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I can't tell for sure from your picture, but one can usually effect a mechanical stop to limit downward travel of the sliding gooseneck. It appears from your pic that there is a countersunk flat head screw near the end of the track. If you remove that and replace with a hex or socket head cap screw, standing proud from the track, it will stop the gooseneck from falling off. IF that screw is not in a useful position, drill and tap for a similar cap screw wherever you want the stopper to be.

Jim
Great idea Jim! I'll give that a try and see if it works.
Old 29-11-2014, 18:13   #14

Boat: Catalina 30

Yes, replace a flat head screw with a bolt head.
Yes, have a topping lift.

But, if you can't raise the boom when the sail is
up, you have too large a mainsail.

We had a new sail cut to have a low tack and a
high clew to reduce the possibility of getting whacked when the boom
came across. Something like 70% or so of a sail's power
comes from the leading 20% or so of your sail, so it
was a great trade-off.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 05:44   #15

If the sailmaker knew his stuff, the mainsail will have a luff length that requires a boom downhaul for tensioning. UNLESS he had been told of this intended change to a fixed gooseneck.

Tags
rigging