Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2018, 02:12   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Rigging Question -- Friction Device

I am rigging a tackle to raise my heavy transom platform in lieu of troublesome hydraulics, consisting of a low friction ring at one outside corner of the platform, a through-deck block (to lead the line through the transom behind the platform, and a through deck bush (to lead the line on up through the rail).

I would like to include some kind of friction device so that the platform can't fall sharply. There are all kinds of friction devices for climbers, but you have to hold those. Is there one which can be fixed mounted? Any tips?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 04:17   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Rigging Question -- Friction Device

You might consider fabricating something similar to your basic boom brake along the run of the line...basically a takeoff on old school belaying gear. You could have it made out of stainless and welded to the rail or mounted somewhere along the run. Would basically be the top 3/4 of one of these:

This design gives you two "tension" settings depending on how you run the line. Benefits of this approach are no moving parts and easy and quick to remove the line from the device with the line still run.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 05:26   #3
cruiser

Why not just fix the hydaulics? Or are you looking for more of an emergency fix when the hydraulics fail.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 10:10   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why not just fix the hydaulics? Or are you looking for more of an emergency fix when the hydraulics fail.
I just didn't like the hydraulics. It's overkill and inelegant, and completely unnecessary. First few years I had this boat this system vied for top place on the repair list along with the horrible electric davits I used to have. I was constantly fixing them while the crew had a great time in different exotic places

Part of the problem is just that the system was badly engineered. I could have re-engineered it -- stronger mounts, stops to prevent the rams from being overextended, etc. -- but why bother. Hang on -- I did do that, and I have the re-engineered parts on board, but before installing them, I realized that it's just simply stupid to open and close your transom platform with such a complex system, when a simple tackle will do it much more simply, elegantly, cheaply, and reliably. I have actually just been using a rope for the last few years, which works more or less OK, but a double purchase tackle led properly through the transom (partially copied from the Moody 49) will be just so much nicer.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 14-05-2018, 10:11   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
You might consider fabricating something similar to your basic boom brake along the run of the line...basically a takeoff on old school belaying gear. You could have it made out of stainless and welded to the rail or mounted somewhere along the run. Would basically be the top 3/4 of one of these:

This design gives you two "tension" settings depending on how you run the line. Benefits of this approach are no moving parts and easy and quick to remove the line from the device with the line still run.
Thanks; that may be a hot tip. Trying now to visualize how they work . . .
Walt Whitman
Old 14-05-2018, 10:24   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Sketch of the system might help. One possible option could be to have a locking ratchet block as the final block before diverting down to a pair of willing hands, still need to pay the rope out, let go it will go bang, but the slightly serrated sheave acts as a brake so you can lower substantial loads under control.

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 10:27   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

What type of line? Naked Dyneema, I assume, since you are using LFRs.

I've tested that devise as a boom brake and was not very impressed. I've used figure 8s uncountable thousands of times climbing. It would not be my choice for this.

Why not just use a cleat? With a few round turns, they are quite good at easing lines under tension, easy to adjust, and with the option of locking it off. Compact, fixed mounting. Pick a nice rounded design. Remember that cleating naked Dyneema requires a LOT of turns, so the cleat must be over sized a little.
Old 14-05-2018, 10:39   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Why not just use a cleat? With a few round turns, they are quite good at easing lines under tension, easy to adjust, and with the option of locking it off. Compact, fixed mounting. Pick a nice rounded design. Remember that cleating naked Dyneema requires a LOT of turns, so the cleat must be over sized a little.

Rope clutch and cleat are a good combination, the rope clutch is handy when you are hauling it up, the cleat safties it and allows you to ease it back down gently.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 10:58   #9

The critical factor is rope-type.

Dockhead, help us out.
Old 14-05-2018, 16:57   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The critical factor is rope-type.

Dockhead, help us out.
8mm poly double braid. For comfortable handling.

I want the friction device to prevent the platform's accidentally being dropped. It's heavy, and that could break the holding mechanism.
Walt Whitman
Old 14-05-2018, 20:47   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

I want the friction device to prevent the platform's accidentally being dropped. It's heavy, and that could break the holding mechanism.
You can get commercial fixed rate descenders designed for rope rescue. https://www.heightec.com/product/rot...ion-descender/
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 20:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

I'm still thinking a horn cleat would be simple and reliable. Is if it is lifted by a tackle, a ratchet block should do. If it's a winch, the winch drum, of course.

Polyester DB is not going to run through LFR easily if there are 180 degree bends, and the rings need to be big.
Old 15-05-2018, 00:58   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm still thinking a horn cleat would be simple and reliable. Is if it is lifted by a tackle, a ratchet block should do. If it's a winch, the winch drum, of course.

Polyester DB is not going to run through LFR easily if there are 180 degree bends, and the rings need to be big.
A horn cleat is fine of course - provided the rope is actually on it. But we don't kneel to lower the platform. I'm just looking for a bit of safety against breaking it.

I've never used a ratchet block - maybe that would do it? A descender wouldn't work, would it? I think you have to hold on to it, no? What I would like would be something which could be fixed under the rail (or possibly above) which would impart a constant amount of friction on the line so that it couldn't run out suddenly if someone let it go. Does such a thing exist?
Walt Whitman
Old 15-05-2018, 01:57   #14

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

How about a simple spring or bungee to carry most of the weight?
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 03:20   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
How about a simple spring or bungee to carry most of the weight?
Yes, I thought of putting a heavy spring at the anchor point of the line, and I will probably do that in any case. It's certainly at least a partial solution to the problem if the line has a good stop on it (stopper knot where it goes through the rail) exactly adjusted, and if the spring is heavy enough.

But a little friction on the line would be really nice -- so that you could just let the line go and nothing bad would happen -- the platform would just smoothly go down.
Walt Whitman

Tags
rigging