Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2018, 06:26   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Rigging Question -- Friction Device

I think I would take a hard look at how the hydraulic system is done, and what it wrong with it, with the idea of staying hydraulic, just maybe changing what is wrong with the current system.
I don’t think you need a counter weight with hydraulics, I think it an unnecessary complication, hydraulics can of course be amazingly strong and are the go to solution when tremendous strength is required, like a digging machine or humongous press etc.
Plus hydraulics can be extremely precise more so than mechanical systems, aircraft flight controls for instance
If one is too strong, that is easily managed with an adjustable pressure relief valve.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 07:22   #47

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Hmmm Counter weights and 'hydraulics'.
You probably have a deck shower at the back of your boat?
What about using a bucket or water jerry can as a counerweight. If you wanted to get higher tech put a tap in the bottom of your bucket you slowly lower your platform by opening the tap.
You could raise it by filling the bucket with your deck shower/ wash down hose.
Maybe you could restrain swaying by having it slide via a loose loop, down a pole/ back stay (whatever you have handy or can easily rig).
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 08:03   #48

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Ok another thought after my previous post.
Maybe it could work better to mechanically lock your platform up and even down if you need to. Either using a pin if you can or a line with an eye onto a hook/ cleat/ caribiner/ clutch.
Use the counter balance bucket for raising and lowering then lock off the platform.
Then un hook your bucket. No need to worry about it swaying around the back of the boat.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging