Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 11:28   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David
Rigging Prices

Learned a big lesson today, always knew marine prices were high but wow. I have been shopping for new standing rigging, I asked one supplier who's 1x19 wire he was using, reply was the name of their supplier, I went to that website to look up spec;s etc. called them, the wire was in fact KOS one of the best, so to make it short they were a direct importer, would not sell to me, but suggested a large rigging supplier to the US NAVY AND SHIIPING industry, marine but not pleasure boat people.

1 x 19 3/8" 316 stainless wire was running from 3.60 to 5.00 a foot from the marine riggers and from this company 1.95 a foot. Swaging was half, 1/4" was 90 cents a foot other are 2.00.

Ok I buy the fittings from Rigging only and they put it together all for about 1,000.00 . Quotes ran from 1,500 to 3,000.00

I guess one learns a little everyday,

Fletch
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 12:09   #2

Boat: 44 footer
Re: Rigging Prices

Who might these folks be? I may be in the market for some 3/8ths wire soon...
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 13:02   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Fletch,

What type of markup do you think any retailer gets? A grocery store for instance typically has a 500% markup. Butt hat doesn't mean they are getting rich.

How much time did your local rigger spend with you figuring out what you need, vs the online place, what are their carrying costs for inventory, what's the value of having a local relationship, ect... This is the downside to the internet, people see cheap prices online, and forget about all the value they get from local guys.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 13:11   #4

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
How much time did your local rigger spend with you figuring out what you need, vs the online place, what are their carrying costs for inventory, what's the value of having a local relationship, ect... This is the downside to the internet, people see cheap prices online, and forget about all the value they get from local guys.
Well - here is another take on your perspective.

I just had a similar experience in San Diego - Crosby Shackles and Samson three strand nylon line.

The LOCAL commercial rigging company had the stuff in stock and sold it to me for 1/2 of what several local marine stores wanted. The commercial rigger deals with large cranes, US Navy, and large commercial ships and transport companies.

The commercial company only wanted cash because their commercial accounts are $1,000 minimum orders.

BUT - they are local, did offer advice, and do stand behind their product. And, the product is identical to what the local marine shop sells.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 14:55   #5

I can assure you that the average gross profit ( not mark up ) in the food industry is not 500 per cent, nor is the mark up, sure on a few items it might be cost times 3 or 4 but that is perishables and stainless steel KOS wire is hardly a perishable. Let's get real here.

Enough said, I am like others, retired and value my limited income, do not want to start a war, I am a Canadian, we do not need to concur the world!!

The company is

Consolidated Rigging and Marine
Jacksonville FLa.

I do not have a problem supporting the local rigger, I just do not think I want to be one that pays more than market for a consumable product. Too often people are in the marine business for the love of it, I love boats however nobody pays for my love.

I am sure most of us do not pay an extra two percent for a mortgage just to help out the local credit union or an extra grand to help out the local car dealer, a loan is a loan, a car is a car and rigging is rigging.

In my case I have every measurement to mm from Beneteau, it is no more than measure twice, cut once and swage it on properly.

I don't understand raining on somebody who is attempting to pass along some information to save others a little money, take it or leave but try to be positive.

Thanks
Old 18-11-2013, 15:11   #6

Boat: 44 footer

Thanks David!

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 15:53   #7

David, Hi it's Dave from NC who bought your Pro-Furl. I was wondering how Consolidated Rigging worked out as a source for wire. I'm about to order a couple hundred feet of 3/8" and 5/16". Do they have a minimum order policy? Do they mind dealing with non-account customers?
Cape Charters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 16:07   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Fletch,

What type of markup do you think any retailer gets? A grocery store for instance typically has a 500% markup. Butt hat doesn't mean they are getting rich.

Here's some facts.
On average, how much do stores mark up products? | Entrepreneur.com
more like 12%! A long way from 500%.

Thanks for the info Fletch. Very useful.
Old 08-12-2013, 22:20   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

12% margin is not the same thing as 12% markup. Admittedly 500% was stretching it! But there are some products that are even higher.

Bottled water - 4000%
Fresh produce - 75%
Meat - 60%
Bakery - 100%

Biggest Grocery Store Markups: The Worst Deals in the Aisles - DailyFinance

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:54   #10

First off I can say that in speaking with Consolidated Rigging their primary business line if not sailboat standing rigging. They are a large industrial rigging house.

I am planning to using them in January, I am still home in Canada, used the snow blower today!!

My contact their ( Consolidated) is a gentlemen by the name of Jimmy, he was very good on the three times I have spoken with him. Small orders do not seem to be a problem. They also have a testing department and for 100.00 would stress test my rigging to any amount I wanted, he suggested 2x the swl, he thought if there was any problem it would show up.

As to the prices, I was quoted $1.95 per foot for 3/8" and $1.36 for 5/16" Kos 316 1x19 stainless wire.

I was referred to them by the KOS importer, after I received these prices, I rechecked with the KOS importer and he confirmed it was the right wire and in fact Consolidated had called him to confirm the price and supply.

I can only assume they are a good supplier, their plan is over 50,000 sq ft and they have four outlets.

As to Stumbles comments on food, Sure bread and veggy have more mark up than industrial stainless wire, you can use stainless wire that is a week old but you can not sell bread that is a day old. Let's get real on margins, after spoilage etc, what are the margins.

I worked most of life as an investment banker, after the dust settles in the grocery business it is a 4% business, with tons of sales if you get the model right. You can not compare day old lettuce to stainless wire, nor can you compare a rigging shop that buys 5000 ft rolls of wire to a small rigger how buys 100 every other month.

West marine has the largest buying power and most of the time has the highest prices, I think it is overhead that really matters!!!

Fletch

Tags
price, rigging