Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 14:03   #76

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Rigging Knives -- Straight vs Serrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
I'm not a knife guy, either. However, I do appreciate good tools and when it comes to knives, I like to use the right tool for the job and I insist that my knives are sharp and well-cared for.

For sharpening, I'm with Canibul in post #52. My sharpener looks something like this one:

Franklin Machine 280-1217 Knife Sharpener Replacement Blade For Knife Sharpener 885-039

Straight edge vs. serrated: I like straight-edge for all knives except the most critical knife - the safety knife. My safety knife is one piece, non-folding, and serrated. It clicks into a hard-shell sheath and clicks out quickly with one hand. The sheath is attached to my PFD and does not get moved. The knife stays in the sheath except to practice getting it out, which happens a couple of times per year. The blade is not used for anything but emergencies.

I don't know what that SAILING video proves; I never cut rope like that. In an emergency situation, I will most likely be sawing a line under lots of tension. I'd like to see a test of knives like that. In a non-emergency, I still would not bend a rope over and tear through it willy-nilly like the guy in the video.

By the way, my filet knife stays in a sheath and hidden among my personal belongings. Only after somebody has proven responsible with my other galley knives will I let him/her borrow my filet knife.

Sounds like you and I agree on knives. If I understand what you said? If you want a clean cut, for example, for spicing, versing just wanting to get through something, in that case use a serrated blade. That said. There are probably some exotic serrations that will make a clean cut. I just have no idea how one would be sharpened? Maybe Star Wars has one that won't dull. My laser knife.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 14:17   #77

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
I don't know what that SAILING video proves; I never cut rope like that. In an emergency situation, I will most likely be sawing a line under lots of tension. I'd like to see a test of knives like that. In a non-emergency, I still would not bend a rope over and tear through it willy-nilly like the guy in the video.
Most likely? You're envisioning a very limited scenario. In an emergency situation on a sailboat you can have a lot of loose lines/sail flying around that need to be cut in a big hurry. And the fact of the matter is that a knife that cuts well in the test in the video is also going to outperform cutting a line under tension, although its ultimate cutting ability may be less critical in that application.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 16:35   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If you pick up a line on your wheel. Painter, wharp, whatever go to the galley and get a serrated blade kitchen knife. You know the one for the roast.

That is not being a wise ass.

I'll second that, unless you have a tank or Hooka, using a smooth knife you'll run out of breath many times trying to free your prop (wheel)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 16:58   #79
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Most likely? You're envisioning a very limited scenario. In an emergency situation on a sailboat you can have a lot of loose lines/sail flying around that need to be cut in a big hurry. And the fact of the matter is that a knife that cuts well in the test in the video is also going to outperform cutting a line under tension, although its ultimate cutting ability may be less critical in that application.
Very good points!
I agree.

The video test is more difficult because the line is NOT under high tension.

I also can think of situations where a safety knife with a serrated edge would be my first choice, regardless of cost.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 18:35   #80

Boat: 44 footer

Give one of these a try for $11. Don't touch the blade. It's a molded handle sort of like an industrial grade Mora.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...WGZ7MD6P2JZ8Z9

The sheaths have a hole for a screw in the bottom and a loop at the top so you can tack it down.

If you have a cordage store, or rigging store that stocks trawler cable they'll have these by the buckets for around $8.

In a bucket... Kinda like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell...sell+net+knife

Another that works very well, are Swiss Army "Floral" knives. They are single blade Swiss Army, that are straight edge and will take a straight razor edge without much work on whatever stone you've got laying around. They are soft, but also somewhat disposable. At $16 if you lose one, then you won't cry quite as bad as losing your Spyderco...

Most water men around here have the Net knives laying around the boat, and a Swiss Army knife in their pocket so they don't have any trouble with the law going to town.

Cheers,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:08   #81

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Hi Folks!

I came across another sailors knife today that caught my interest.

Consider these features:

Ceramic Blade
Titanium Body
Marlin Spike
Shackle Key
Blade just under 3" to meet regs about concealed knives.

Cost? It surprised me! $79
This is the one I carry. opens easily with one hand and locks in place. will cut anything.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:47   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
This is the one I carry. opens easily with one hand and locks in place. will cut anything.
That's the same one I carry as well.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:25   #83

Quote:
I'm not a knife guy, either. However, I do appreciate good tools and when it comes to knives, I like to use the right tool for the job and I insist that my knives are sharp and well-cared for.

For sharpening, I'm with Canibul in post #52. My sharpener looks something like this one:

[URL="http://www.centralrestaurant.com/Knife-Sharpener-Replacement-Blade-For-Knife-Sharpener-885-039-c82p1509.html?utm_source=amazon-pads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=885-040"]Franklin Machine 280-1217 Knife Sharpener Replacement Blade For Knife Sharpener

Clearly you've never had a fishing net wrapped around your prop.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:37   #84

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Here's a short-term report on the Spyderco Enuff Salt. Received it a few days ago and have been wearing it ever since. Much handier than unzipping a pocket to get my Boye folder and the short blade is crazy sharp. The knife is heavier than the typical Spyderco and seems very robust; unless something weird happens to it, I think it's going to be my favorite. I highly recommend it.
The only downside is the lack of a marlinspike and shackle key, but I still keep the Boye in a pocket for those uses.

Fair winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:03   #85

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I've used these and similar for years, one strapped to the helm pedestal and another to the mast. They do great except when you go offshore. Pull them out of the sheath after a long passage and they are a rusty mess.
I used to keep one in the cockpit lashed to a length of bamboo for cutting kelp off the props and rudders. I found that keeping a coat of lanolin on the knife would keep it from getting too rusty.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:48   #86
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Give one of these a try for $11. Don't touch the blade. It's a molded handle sort of like an industrial grade Mora.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...WGZ7MD6P2JZ8Z9

The sheaths have a hole for a screw in the bottom and a loop at the top so you can tack it down.

If you have a cordage store, or rigging store that stocks trawler cable they'll have these by the buckets for around $8.

In a bucket... Kinda like this one:
Amazon.com: Dexter Russell NTL24-24B Sani-Safe (15393) NTL24 Net Line Knives: Chefs Knives: Kitchen & Dining

Another that works very well, are Swiss Army "Floral" knives. They are single blade Swiss Army, that are straight edge and will take a straight razor edge without much work on whatever stone you've got laying around. They are soft, but also somewhat disposable. At $16 if you lose one, then you won't cry quite as bad as losing your Spyderco...

Most water men around here have the Net knives laying around the boat, and a Swiss Army knife in their pocket so they don't have any trouble with the law going to town.

Cheers,

Zach
Good to know. Thanks for posting those links and comments. The first knife looks VERY sharp and so low cost (and with sheath).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:02   #87
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cadence-
440 was "the" knife metal of the 1980's, for strength, sharpness, and rust-resistance at a price well under $100. But it DOES rust, in damp crevices or where worked with carob steel tools (embossed, etc.) It just doesn't rust much, with ordinary care.
These days all sorts of magic alloys are supposed to stay shinier, sharper, light up in the presence of orcs, all sorts of things. Maybe some of them are worth the price. All that I know, is that if I pay a lot of attention to sharpening (and there's a certain zen to that) and I don't let the blade get used for slicing up lunch, it cuts incredibly well. Same thing goes for my old Camillus "Air Force Survival" knife as it does for my everyday sheath knife, which is a (shhh!) spare German paring knife from the kitchen drawer. Also reserved for "not now!" use only.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging