Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2012, 23:25   #1

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Rigging Help for a Hunter Near Tonga

I got a message this morning from friends who are near Tonga right now and broke a lower cap shroud on a 38ft Hunter.
What is the smartest thing to do to get them a replacement ?

Cheer
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 23:32   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Rigging Help for a Hunter Near Tonga

G'Day Reiner (and Sam, too)

When we broke our forestay in Vanuatu, we had wire and new cones for the Sta-loks sent in from Oz. If the Hunter has swaged fittings they will have to measure accurately and have the complete shroud sent up... likely from NZ, being the closest bit of yachting civilization.

I take it that they managed to save the mast??? Lucky them...

Cheers,

Jim

PS What's a "lower cap shroud"? In most parlance, it can not be both a cap and a lower!
Old 17-05-2012, 23:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Reiner (and Sam, too)

When we broke our forestay in Vanuatu, we had wire and new cones for the Sta-loks sent in from Oz. If the Hunter has swaged fittings they will have to measure accurately and have the complete shroud sent up... likely from NZ, being the closest bit of yachting civilization.

I take it that they managed to save the mast??? Lucky them...

Cheers,

Jim

PS What's a "lower cap shroud"? In most parlance, it can not be both a cap and a lower!
Thank you Jim, I have been on the phone talking to Hunter in Sydney. Not much help . I did leave a message with the local rigger here in Brisbane and wait for his reply. I guess otherwise I might be able to get the specs from Hunter in the US ( where the boat was purchased) and get one made.
Reg the lower cap shroud.....I was just relaying what I was told :-)
Don't be so hard on me Jim I'm only in year 3..hehe
Please say Hi to Ann
Cheers
Reiner
Old 18-05-2012, 00:35   #4

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

To keep on moving, I would go with galvanised cable and cable clamps, should be more readily available. Bruce.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 15:54   #5

G'Day again Reiner,

If you (they?) can't get the data from Hunter then accurate measurement of the remaining "lower cap shroud" will be required in order for for someone to make up a new one. If that isn't possible, they could consider changing to mechanical fittings (Sta-Lok, Norseman, etc) and buying a bit extra length of wire (just to be sure) and making up the shroud in situ.

The suggestion of galvo wire and clamps might be available in Nukalofa, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that! You just never know in Tonga!

Final possibility is to make up a shroud from Dyneema (Dynex Dux sp?) avaiable from Strongropes in Sydney and easy/cheap to ship. Would certainly be doable and would last long enough for them to reach their next civilized destination.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-05-2012, 16:35   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Reiner & Sam,

If you and your friends decide to go for the Dyneema option, be sure to include either termination deadeyes with instruction for installation/use or explicit instructions for the splices. Unless they are somewhere they can access the Internet, they won't have access to the information.

Ann Cate, details as Jim Cate's
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 17:23   #7

Final possibility is to make up a shroud from Dyneema (Dynex Dux sp?) avaiable from Strongropes in Sydney and easy/cheap to ship. Would certainly be doable and would last long enough for them to reach their next civilized destination.

Thank you Jim, they are 4 people on board and luckily one of them is pretty handy and will come up with something. I have not heard anymore. I like the idea of making something up from Dyneema and carry some more for further emergencies .
The boat we bought had the rigging "checked" in 1995 but nothing was done since. We are in the middle of stepping the mast and replacing the standing rigging and most of the running rigging as well.
The Hunter out there is only 6 years old I didn't think the rigging would be something that could course problems.
Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Cheers
Reiner
Old 18-05-2012, 17:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, Reiner & Sam,

If you and your friends decide to go for the Dyneema option, be sure to include either termination deadeyes with instruction for installation/use or explicit instructions for the splices. Unless they are somewhere they can access the Internet, they won't have access to the information.

Ann Cate, details as Jim Cate's
Thank you Ann, I will pass that on if they decide to go with the Dyneema option.
How do you enjoy the "Winter" down there? Nice and sunny in Brisbane today but cold enough to whinge about it :-)
Make sure we catch up next time you get to Brisbane.
Cheers
Reiner
Old 18-05-2012, 20:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner View Post
The Hunter out there is only 6 years old I didn't think the rigging would be something that could course problems.
Thanks for your thoughts on this.
Cheers
Reiner
AAhhhh, let the Hunter bashing begin! I would have agreed with you, Reiner, but who knows what has transpired here -- abuse, misuse, or poor design/execution by the builder.

Hope they can sort it out. Being at sea with a compromised rig is scary as hell.

We'll likely be in MOreton Bay within a few weeks, but a stop on the Clarence lies between, and we do tend to stay longer there than planned! We'll be in touch...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-05-2012, 21:24   #10

Hi Guys Slipstreamcat here Opua Bay Of Ilands NZif you want I can talk to Paul he is the boss Northland Spars & Rigging phone 09 4026280 thats his land line email is Paul@sparsandrigging.com they are super guys tell them Tony from Slipstream they just done my stack pac & other things.
Another way is talk to BOB at caters Marine 094028292 he is a rigger from Canada they are not riggers but he sends stuff up to Tonga im sure they will let you pay by credit if not then I think just sail down after @ pay then @ buy us a beer. My number is 09 4027270 Tony & Heather if you need other help shout .
slipstreamcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 21:32   #11

Hi from Slipstreamcat, I have sent info from Opua Bay Of Ilands New Zealand to you re the rigging may be able to arrange from here Im a local cat man cheers Tony,PS Ive just signed up so dont know how long it will take for my other message hope not long,Tony
slipstreamcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 01:28   #12

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mate. If your friends make landfall in Vava'u, the Moorings might be able to help out to source a new shroud. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 03:44   #13

Sorry I didn't mean to bash Hunters, that could most likely happen to any other brand too and I agree with jim who knows what happen before the shroud broke.
Thanks for all the replies. My friends just send a new msg and they are in Vava'u right now. It sounds like they are getting help there.

Cheers
Reiner
Old 19-05-2012, 06:51   #14

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Heres the reason I carry so many spares, and a small come along. You could easily jury rig a shroud fix with some wire clamps and a way to tighten the repair could be as easy as a truckers hitch! It would get ya to a place to get a replacement made !Im sure theres someone or someplace to get some clamps and such most of carry stuff like this just cus things like this always happen to us LOL If I was there we could get ya going quick time! is there anyother cruisers within short radio distance away from ya ?? Just a thought !

Tags
hunter, rigging, Tonga