Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 14:35   #1

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
Rigging Halyards to the Cockpit . . . Winches ?

I figure with longer halyards, a couple turning blocks and clutches is all I would need for a Pearson 26. I can't imagine needing winches for pulling power. Am I wrong? (By the way, my boat is the one design model with the flat cabin top.)
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 15:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Rigging Halyards to the cockpit...Winches?

For the main halyard that should work. A Cunningham will be needed to tension the luff once the sail is hoisted. Assume you are bringing the halyard back to the cockpit which is why you're contemplating blocks and clutches. You may need a winch to get the scallops out of a hank on jib when the wind pipes up. A Cunningham, tackle on the halyard or a two part tackle halyard could be used to get the tension that may be needed on the jib.

I wouldn't encourage you to run the jib halyard back to the cockpit unless you will always be sailing with a crew. Seems like the halyard always hangs up at the worst times when lowering/raising the jib. Running from the bow to the cockpit and back a few times isn't fun in rough seas on a small boat. Actually on any boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 13:18   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: Rigging Halyards to the Cockpit . . . Winches ?

Personally, I'd still go with at least 1 small winch on the cabin top. If nothing else, it is (in my experience) hard to put in and shake out reefs without a winch.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 13:42   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Yep, I too would advise fitting a winch... perhaps a number 8. The added friction that happens in leading the halyards back will keep you from getting the luff as tight as you need it to be without a winch (or some sort of tackle for mechanical advantage).

For scaling factors, I found (years ago when I was younger, broker and stronger) that I needed a small winch on my Catalina 22 when I lead the halyards back.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-12-2011, 06:43   #5

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

I was also considering rigging a downhaul for the headsail so I couse dowse it from the cockpit. I do not have lifeline stanchions to attach small downhaul blocks to, so I would have to either mount small blocks or fairleads near the rail to route the downhaul line back to the cockpit. Seam fairleads would make a cleaner install. Opinions please. Thanks
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, cockpit