Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2013, 15:24   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Rig modification

So, with all the talk about removable inner forestays, and a little extra time on my hands, I started thinking about modifying the rig on my boat a little (and to a certain extant questioning my sanity).
My boat has a keel-stepped masthead rig with two sets of swept spreaders. It also has a running babystay, in the sense that the bottom of the stay ends in a 4-part tackle with the tail led back to a cabintop winch. There is a snap shackle on the tackle which attaches to a solid padeye on the foredeck, backed up belowdecks by the bulkhead between the v-berth and forepeak. The babystay lands on the mast some 3-4 feet above the bottom spreaders.
Now. Some 5-6 feet farther up, about 2/3 of the way up the mast, is where the spin pole topping lift exits. Less that a foot above that is where the running backstays attach. FWIW, I rarely use the runners or babystay unless in heavy chop. The babystay in particular I believe is more of a sail-shaping device than a mast support.
What I had in mind was moving the babystay termination up the mast to just above the topping lift exit, so I could use it as a removable inner forestay and the topping lift as a halyard for a hank-on staysail in higher winds. After all, the runners are right there, and the head of the double-reefed main ends up right around the upper spreaders, another 5 feet or so higher.
Am I crazy? Or *really* crazy?
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 15:34   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Rig modification

Sounds to me like an easy solution to make your sloop a slutter or cutoop. Usually the optimal angle of the staysail stay is parrallel with the foremost stay, forestay, yankee stay or however it is called in your neck of the woods.
kind regards,