Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2016, 19:55   #16

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: Rig Inspection East coast Australia

So I called Pantaenius to try and get a little more info.

Question 1 - Do you have a list of approved service providers for the rig inspection?

Answer - No, any surveyor or Rigger will do.

Question 2 - What certification is the surveyor or rigger required to have?

Answer - None. Side comment was that every second guy in the marina(s) called themselves either a surveyor or rigger. I assume that this guy would have to be competent thereby shifting the onus back onto the owner. Do you think they just might dispute any rig claim?

Question 3 - What exactly is required in the report?

Answer - A description of the rig and a statement proclaiming the rig was in good condition.

Question 4 - Is there an age limit on the rig or any portions of the rig?

Answer - No, although they do recommend that wire, shackles, pins, turnbuckles, etc be replaced every 10 years it is not a condition of insurance. There was no recommendations for replacement of masts, compression posts, or associated hardware.

I was also told that I would have to provide an invoice for this service to them so I guess that means that I can't write the report myself. Damn!!!

Maybe there is an agreement between the Insurance companies and the Government to help the economy or just another money grab.......
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 13:51   #17

We had our yacht re-rigged for insurance purposes and did so at Manly using Allyacht Spars Australia (07 3893 2233)who are near by. We were very happy with their work.
The rigging was over 10 years and the insurance company required a certificate or new rigging. I should add that it is rod rigging and that inspecting it was almost as expensive as replacement. So we replaced.
Allyacht Spars were good. Rod.
rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 14:29   #18

Boat: Adams 40

Also in Sydney, try Joe Walsh. Good guy, excellent rigger, reasonable prices. His phone number is 0410 476 626

- David
Ozwizz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 14:53   #19

Scott Keogh from Manly did ours and it was acceptable by Pantaenous.
Maurie
Georgie Girl
mmeecham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 15:37   #20

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Does your insurer require your rigging to be certified or just require a condition report, there is a difference.

Certification may require that certain materials were used in certain ways to fabricate and fit the rigging, this is probably why you are having problems getting a responsible expert to provide you with a certificate.

A condition report may state that the rig was inspected, you informed the expert that it was a certain age and installed by a provider skilled in yacht rigging and that there are no obvious defects based upon a visual inspection.

Ask your insurer if they can provide examples of what they would normally require.
This is a typical issue in Aus - The insurance companies are all the same, that they have this "10 year" requirement. I have not found ant rigger who will certify rigging that is more than 10 years old nowadays. Lots will inspect, but not actually certify it is sound.
The Insurance Co. wants to limit their liability and will seek recompense from the certifier if it fails within a reasonable time frame (yes - define reasonable!).
I had a certificate saying they found no defect, but as it is over 10 years old, they recommend replacement. Guess the insurance response to that!
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 15:42   #21

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
So I called Pantaenius to try and get a little more info.

Question 1 - Do you have a list of approved service providers for the rig inspection?

Answer - No, any surveyor or Rigger will do.

Question 2 - What certification is the surveyor or rigger required to have?

Answer - None. Side comment was that every second guy in the marina(s) called themselves either a surveyor or rigger. I assume that this guy would have to be competent thereby shifting the onus back onto the owner. Do you think they just might dispute any rig claim?

Question 3 - What exactly is required in the report?

Answer - A description of the rig and a statement proclaiming the rig was in good condition.

Question 4 - Is there an age limit on the rig or any portions of the rig?

Answer - No, although they do recommend that wire, shackles, pins, turnbuckles, etc be replaced every 10 years it is not a condition of insurance. There was no recommendations for replacement of masts, compression posts, or associated hardware.

I was also told that I would have to provide an invoice for this service to them so I guess that means that I can't write the report myself. Damn!!!

Maybe there is an agreement between the Insurance companies and the Government to help the economy or just another money grab.......
Last time I looked, it was - Go to TAFE and get trade certified as a Rigger, then sign the thing yourself! Be prepared to learn how to tie knots, as without a certificate, Workcover will not allow you to call yourself a rigger.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 16:24   #22

Boat: Volkscruiser

Colin Quinn is the guy I recommend on the east coast.
I am not sure what all the drama is about with your post?
As for an agreement between the insurance company's and the government to improve the economy I suggest you start wearing a sun hat or just stay indoors. The rigging is a major component of a yacht and surely the insurance company's have a right to know its condition before they insure you?
Thanks
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 16:32   #23

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

We had ours done at Abel Point Marina by a local rigger for Pantaenis. Cost about 100 bucks and he had a standard inspection form he used was acceptable by the insurer.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 16:48   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Colin Quinn is the guy I recommend on the east coast.
I am not sure what all the drama is about with your post?
As for an agreement between the insurance company's and the government to improve the economy I suggest you start wearing a sun hat or just stay indoors. The rigging is a major component of a yacht and surely the insurance company's have a right to know its condition before they insure you?
Thanks
The issue here is that without the insurance company requiring any certification for this inspection/report the onus is obviously squarely on the owner/operator to ensure that the rig is in good condition. so what is the point.

If there were to be a claim for damages or potential loss of the boat due to rig failure then you would be guaranteed that the insurance company would look long and hard before paying the claim. This is the problem!!!

The crack about the conspiracy was just that.

Most cruisers that purchase comprehensive coverage for their boats also have the wherewithal and the inclination to maintain their boats in good condition. If the insurance company wants to lower their risks thereby lowering my premium I am all for it however they should also provide a list of certification requirements or vendors who are approved for this purpose thereby ensuring that there will be no issues in the event of a claim.

Last year when we purchased our policy from Pantaenius they initially asked for a rig report. Upon receipt of our most recent survey which included documentation on removal of all chainplate bolts and re bedding, replacement of all toggles and pins, replacement of triassic and backstays as well as general comments on the rest of the rig, they waved this requirement. Now, 1 year later they want a report. Will this mean another rig report every year????

One good thing I hear about Pantaenius is that they don't quibble about hull value in the event you lose the boat. They pay the agreed value at the time of purchase of the policy. This is a good thing however it is still the owners responsibility to ensure that the boat is in seaworthy condition and failing that they won't pay.
Old 01-04-2016, 17:13   #25

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1350

Another vote for Geoff Cruse whose details were posted in a reply above. Excellent surveyor and a top guy to boot. He should be returning from Brisbane to Gladstone race this weekend.

I've passed you a couple of times in the last few days if you are anchored just south of the channel into Manly.
Smooth Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 17:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Cruiser View Post
Another vote for Geoff Cruse whose details were posted in a reply above. Excellent surveyor and a top guy to boot. He should be returning from Brisbane to Gladstone race this weekend.

I've passed you a couple of times in the last few days if you are anchored just south of the channel into Manly.
Yep, that's us. Geoff is the guy lined up to do the rig inspection on Monday.

Unfortunately they had no room for us in Manly Harbour so we are going into Raby Bay on Sunday. The Mrs. wants to go to the open market on the Esplanade tomorrow before we head to Raby bay.
Old 01-04-2016, 20:12   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Yep, that's us. Geoff is the guy lined up to do the rig inspection on Monday.

Unfortunately they had no room for us in Manly Harbour so we are going into Raby Bay on Sunday. The Mrs. wants to go to the open market on the Esplanade tomorrow before we head to Raby bay.
Pass my regards on to Geoff. He's the guy that did the pre-purchase survey on Alizé III for us a year ago.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 16:58   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
If you're in Brisbane, check out Geoff Cruse 07 3396 8420 or 0409 968 421.
Thanks again Stu. Geoff sends his regards. He did the rig inspection on Monday. Seems he just got back on Friday from a sail when we called. Good guy and a good rep around these parts!!!

He says thanks for the plug as it seems that his phone has been ringing constantly since his return due to this thread.

Tags
Australia, east coast, inspection