Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 12:01   #1

Boat: Oceanis 411
Rig Failures

I have heard from local riggers that the Beneteau's and Jeaneau's have a higher rig failure rate due light 'factory installed' rigging.

Is this right?
What is the typical failure mode that people have seen?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:25   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I don't know about Junneaus and Beneteaus, but I know that I always check my rigging before I sail offshore. Many times I have found a broken strand of wire, and I replace it before heading offshore. For me the broken wire is almost always where the wire emerges from the swage.

I get in the habit of checking my rig when I arrive in port so that I can get things fixed early rather than at the last minute before I am leaving.

I have replaced wires in Bora Bora, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Turkey, and Gibraltar.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:34   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
This is my latest, 'largest' phobia while sailing...that the rig is going to come down.

I guess what scares me is that while you can see some broken strands, I hear that sometimes the weakest link is in a place where you may not necessarily be able to see it.

I have some good references for learning more about rigging on some of the manufacturer's sites...but do any of you have good references for books that have helped them understand rigging, maintenance and tuning that they highly recommend?

Thanks!
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
P.S. This is actually 'High Heels' posting, Witzgall's wife...Highjacked his computer ;0)
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 13:21   #5

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
I actually had an upper shroud chainplate part from under the deck while under sail. Luck for me, we were not in too much wind and I was able to get the main down and genoa fulred before any damage was done to the mast. This clearly shows that failure points may not be visible for inspection.

I second the advise to check the rig prior to setting out on a voyage, but also check it following any heavy weather as well to catch any weaknesses that could cause failures.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 13:42   #6

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Rig Failures

Book on rigging:

Brian Toss Rigger's Apprentice
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 14:26   #7

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
I have seen a broken chainplate on a Beneteau "Oceanis 311". The boat was built around 1998 and the breakage occured in 2007 after intensive sailing with a cruising association.

In fact, the part was made by Wichard, of round stock, bend in a U shape with both ends threaded to accept hex nuts under the deck. The breakage on both ends was under deck level, in an area not accessible for inspection without removing the part.

The breakage might have been caused by anaerobic corrosion but, as far as I know, the association owning the boat obtained no explanation from Beneteau or Wichard.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 23:14   #8

Boat: Swan 56
Neither Beneteau nor Jeaneau manufacture rigging - it is supplied by manufacturers who also supply other boat builders - so unless there is a fairly significant design error in the performance specification provided to the rigging supplier I'd doubt if there is any truth in the accusation that the rigs on these boats fail more than others.

Conversely, if there was a problem, the huge number of boats that these manufacturers turn out would soon reveal any design error and it would be rectified PDQ. I am not aware of any such design error in any boats produced by these two.

By observation,the most common mode of rig failure that I have seen is chainplate failure at deck level (actually in the thickness of the deck).
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 00:41   #9

The rigger seemed genuine - but I'm trying to figure out if he was just seeming one part of the market and coming to false conclusions.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:47   #10

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraidNot View Post
The rigger seemed genuine - but I'm trying to figure out if he was just seeming one part of the market and coming to false conclusions.
I think you need to look at it from the viewpoint of whether the rigging is fit for purpose. In my opinion beneteau and jeaneau et al do indeed design rigs for their intended purpose.

There are however, other manufacturers who cater for a market where more redundancy is demanded by buyers (more than one chain plate for the shrouds, cutter rig, thicker mast sections etc). This additional design criteria comes at greater cost and will often impede the performance or ease of handling of the boat. It is therefore not everyones cup of tea.

It is perhaps the difference between these two design scenarios that your rigger is referring to. There are two ways of looking at it:

One is lighter and has less redundancy than the other. The other is overdesigned, costs more money and impedes the performance of the boat.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:20   #11

yeah - I think he does a lot of work for the racers in the area.