Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 00:42   #1

Boat: 2005, Dufour 38.5
Replacing facron headsail,Furling swivel

For the past week we have been having trouble furling our Genoa. Especially when it’s on the breezier side. Not ideal.

So after sussing out the furling unit at the base, it was a trip up the mast. Sure enough the swivel up the top seems to be the problem. I wouldnt say the bearings are shot, but when the swivel is under load ( halyard pulled tight ) it seems to rotate unevanly creating friction.
Now to me it seems just too sloopy on the foil so iam thinking a new swivel. Almost cryed when i seen the replacment price 800 euro. They have made a new fancy swivel, made of alloy with different bearings, so im thinking they have up graded this part for a reason ( mabe the reason i have ?)

I feel i have to change it out. Unless someone has a different solution?

Change it out- opinions on how i could do this? I was thinking to rig the spare inner forstay. Climb the mast disconnect the top of the primary forstay and swap out the swivels? My main concern is stability of the mast when i release the primary forstay. Especially because i will be up there!

Thankfull for opinions!
Luke
Ausluke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, head, sail