Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2008, 17:49   #1

replacing cracked swage connectors

While examining my rigging with my mast down, I found 5 swage connectors with hairline cracks. All the SS 3/16" wire (1 x 19) wire looks great and at $4.00 per foot for "LOSE" wire (not including connectors and labor), I realize I have to rethink my situation. I either keep the old rigging or I repair this rigging the cheapest way possible.
What is your opinion on just cutting off the old cracked swage fittings and replacing them with new ones. Then extend the wires with rigging toggles or some other sort of extenders.
any comments on this would be great.
dancamp009
dancamp009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 18:22   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
How old is your rigging? If it's much more than ~10 years old, you may be better off biting the bullet and replacing it all now. Although they're more expensive, threaded fittings like Sta-lok or Norseman are more reliable and can be replaced if needed.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 18:45   #3

Boat: Currently boatless
BTW, if you do decide to keep the current rigging, sta-lok (STA-LOK Terminals Ltd - Welcome to STA-LOK) makes extra long threaded stud fitting that you could use on a shortened wire.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 18:48   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
If you have the stud to turnbuckle fittings, StaLok and Norseman make long studs designed to do just what you suggested. If the wire is not pitted, etc. it would be an option. New wire would be better especially if the wire is 10 years or more old. Wire seldom breaks, the fittings are normally the failure point.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 19:54   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
BTW, if you do decide to keep the current rigging, sta-lok (STA-LOK Terminals Ltd - Welcome to STA-LOK) makes extra long threaded stud fitting that you could use on a shortened wire.
What he said. Go with mechanicals, whether Sta-lock, Norseman, or Hi-mod. If the wire isn't meathooked, then just redo the terminals and replace the wire rope when it needs it. The Hi-mods supposedly are re-useable (just put 4 in so haven't had to replace yet, They're beefy.
Old 22-10-2008, 20:31   #6

BEAUTIFUL. . . thanks for the great advise
I can relax now
Sorry, I really don't know how old this rigging is. I'd guess ten years. but the wire looks great.
thanks to all
dancamp009 is offline   Reply With Quote