Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2014, 06:55   #1

Boat: Farrier F-44
Replacement Sheave source

Hello All,

I need to replace a sheave on my Jib deck gear. It is 1 9/16" in diameter and 1 3/8" across. The bearing is 5/8" diameter and 1 3/8" wide. I have been hitting the internet and local boat stores with no luck. Does any one know of a good place to start?

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-27 09.46.19.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	87168  
trashpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 07:19   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Replacement Sheave source

Who made you sheet car?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 07:19   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I don't have personal experience, but I've heard people say good things about this place:

Zephyrwerks - The Sheave Factory
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 07:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Try searching the Rig-Rite Inc. - Masts, Booms, Spars, Rigging, and Hardware for Sailboats. site.
Wide Sheaves - by Width

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 09:53   #5

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I replaced my masthead and boom sheaves recently. Here in Texas, Stix 'N Rig'n turns their own Delrin sheaves on a lathe in their shop. I'll bet there is a local rigging shop in your area that can do the same for you. Just take the old one with you and tell them what you want.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 18:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I don't have personal experience, but I've heard people say good things about this place:

Zephyrwerks - The Sheave Factory
I have used them and have only good things to say. Good prices, delivered on time, and easy to work with. I often just go direct to them on older gear instead of trying to track down OEM parts. The price is usually the same, and it's just easier.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 18:34   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If you draw a blank, I suggest Moly filled Nylatron. Find a machine shop or access to a lathe and make one & a spare. I have been making spares to rebuild the sun-baked disintegrating Lewmar wheels in many pulleys. I am about to make a custom bow roller to better fit my new anchor. Nylatron is nearly indestructible. Buy stock from Total Plastics or McMaster.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 04:29   #8

Thanks for all the info. I ended up calling Ed at Zypher and he is going to hook me up. Since my deck gear was custom built at the boat yard he suggested sending the whole unit to him and he would see what it will take to make it right so it does not happen again. I will update everyone when they are done.

Kurt
Old 01-09-2014, 12:22   #9

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Looks kinda like the old Goiot cars, they quit making them in Delrin because the rope eats into them (like yours) and went to aluminum. Might reconsider your replacement material.

I bought a cheap worn out set for my boat, put alum sheaves on them. then found the cars are too wide and hit the cabin.

If you cannot find a better source, I can turn a sheave for you.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 19:48   #10

So I went with Zypherwrks. I talked to Ed there and he is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing. I ended up also sending him one of the larger sheaves to see what would be the best thing to do. He is going to make all new sheaves with a bearing insert that will correctly fit the bearing shaft. I will send some photos when I get them back next week.

Kurt

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-09-2014, 10:10   #11

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

A little late, but for anyone else that may find this searching later.... Garhauer can make just about any size sheave with ball bearings you may need. They list a few masthead ones on their site, but just contact them if you need a special size.

Matt
Old 05-10-2014, 20:19   #12

So Ed at Zypherwrks is an artist. I sent him the worn out one and also another one I was having problems with. After talking to him about the setup I ended up having him replace the 8 sheaves for my jib. They can in and look great. If you ever need any sheaves give Ed a call.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-10-2014, 20:30   #13

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

I'm getting ready to send him some dimensions and a sheave from the turning block at the bottom of my mast. When I had a problem he was able to diagnose it and suggest the best ways to get replacements. So it looks like I'll have him make about 10 sheaves to replace a bunch of funky old ones.

Bill
Old 05-10-2014, 21:36   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Have you checked the spec's on the stock ones made by Harken, Ronstan, Schaeffer, etc.? And if you take the time, effort, & $ to get one custom made, odds are it'd pay to have at least one spare made, if not several.
Also, before you have them turned out of anything but aluminum, check the UV resistance of the material you're thinking of using. No point in letting el Sol eat up some nice custom work. I wish that someone would tell a couple of the OEM hardware makers that fact... & I'll leave out names for now.

Ah, and as you likely know, anything with the word "Marine" associated with it automatically triples the price. And that includes machining.
As an example, a friend had a set of custom rudder bearings machined for his boat in Wyoming of all places, for 20% of any of the quotes which he got in any of the waterfront shops.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 00:53   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Had another "think" on this topic, albeit it's not mine. But it's a good one.

- Either Brion Toss, or Steve Dashew had the brilliant idea to have a hole for a #8, or a #10 machine screw, drilled & tapped into the groove of sheaves which are either going into real tight spaces, or where dropping them would be catastrophic. Like say when you're up at the masthead.

Before you go to install the modified sheave, insert a machine screw 4 or 5 turns into the hole, & then tie a piece of thin cord onto the screw head.
Thus, you can grip the protruding head of the screw & use it to maneuver the sheave into spots where there isn't room for your fingers to align things properly. - Like the slots in the end of the boom for your reefing sheaves per say.

And if you happen to drop the sheave, then thanks to the cord, it doesn't wind up being donated to Neptune, or forever lodged half way down the inside of your mast.
Kinda' a small genius moment IMHO.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Brion (Toss's) Rig Shop could set you up with most types of replacement sheaves which you might need. Or definitely directly you to someone who could. www.BrionToss.com
They've also got some REALLY hand proprietary rigging tools, & splicing tools worth taking a look at as well, now that I think about it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men