Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2010, 05:28   #1

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Replacement Boom, Used Parts

Ladies & Gents,

Recent developments have led me to believe that I may not have the factory boom on my boat, and that it may be a few inches shorter.

Where might a good source of sailboat parts be, where I could inquire about a replacement. Doesn't have to be new and shiny, I'd be happy with a used spar.

The boat is a '69 Coronado 25.

I'm still in the fact-finding stage of the mission. Word on the street is that the Co25 came with a hand-crank roller furling boom, which I do not have, and mine seems to be just a couple inches short.

Sailboatdata.com and my local chanderly differ slightly on what the boom length should be.

Thanks for the assist.
Old 18-03-2010, 10:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I might ust happen to know where you can get a C25 boom (and likely mast if you need that).

The boom on my C25 was not hand crank. I am not sure if the hand crank roller was an option, I have have seen one that had one, though it wasn't used as such (grumpy cantankerous pain of a thing to use on a good day is what I understand).

You have any pictures that might help?
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 11:04   #3

Boat: Bristol 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
Ladies & Gents,

Recent developments have led me to believe that I may not have the factory boom on my boat, and that it may be a few inches shorter.

Where might a good source of sailboat parts be, where I could inquire about a replacement. Doesn't have to be new and shiny, I'd be happy with a used spar.

The boat is a '69 Coronado 25.

I'm still in the fact-finding stage of the mission. Word on the street is that the Co25 came with a hand-crank roller furling boom, which I do not have, and mine seems to be just a couple inches short.

Sailboatdata.com and my local chanderly differ slightly on what the boom length should be.

Thanks for the assist.

RigRite (www.rigrite.com) is the preeminent supplier of replacement parts for older sailboat spars and rigging. If anyone has it they do.

Good luck,
Old 18-03-2010, 14:39   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'DAy Bubblehead,

What's wrong with the existing boom? Being "a few inches" shorter than the original isn't a reason to replace it IMO. And the roll it up around the boom reefing system is hopeless... that's why it was abandonded years ago. Modern in-boom reefing systems are far more sophisticated (and expensive) and are still a bit of a PITA to use.

So, tell us why you want to replace it!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 16:21   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Be thankful you don't have a roller reefing boom They had to be the dumbest thing foisted on a sailor. Reefing with these booms was slow and painful resulting in a baggy sail and a tight leech. That is the opposite of what you want reefed. Worse, with all the strain on the leech it stretched the sail out of shape ruining the sail, often after only one reef.

My first boat had a roller reefing boom and hated it but had no reference to compare it to. My second boat had slab reefing and after my first reef wondered why it hadn't been invented before. Turns out it had, almost since the beginning of boomed sails. Slab reefing is so much quicker and easier and gives you a properly shaped sail that doesn't destroy it. Never have figured why anyone would invent roller reefing except out to see if humans would actually be dumb enough to use it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 06:12   #6

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Hi guys, sorry for the delay in responding.

I was considering a longer, used boom to accomodate a sail that I had bought. Instead, I returned it and exchanged it for a sail that fits.

I never wanted roller furling, I was just trying to identify if my boom was stock or not.

I still greatly appreciate the leads on spars from Florida Writer and FrankZ.