Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2010, 11:20   #1

Replace or Repair Standing Rigging?

I am looking at a 1980 Spirit 23 sailboat and plan to purchase it tomorrow. The only issue that it has that needs immediate attention is the standing rigging. The rigging lines are quite loose and the turnbuckle is closed so that it can't be tightened anymore. Nothing looks to be in danger of breaking and the place where the standing rigging mounts to the deck looks and feels strong.

What should I be looking for and what can I expect to pay to replace all the standing rigging? I am clearly new to sailing as this is my first sailboat.
joburnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 12:19   #2

If you cannot determine if the rigging has ever been replaced, err on the side of caution and replace all of it. Unfortunately, as the ss ages, corrosion creates weak spots which are often invisible to the human eye.

IMHO, bite the bullet replace it. You'll sleep better at night.
Alan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 12:21   #3

Well then I'm left with the question of how do I replace it. I've been told Defender.com is a good place to buy but what do I buy and how do I install it? If anyone has a link to an article on this I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 20-03-2010, 12:29   #4

Also what can I expect to pay? I'm expecting that to replace the standing rigging would cost around $500 for a boat this size and that I could do the whole thing myself in less than a day.
Old 20-03-2010, 12:32   #5

I had a professional rigger replace mine. Heck, I struggled with getting the measurements right on liflines I had to replace. He did a perfect job, first time.

If there is a rigger in your area, get a price quote. If you can't find one, I'm sure any serious boatyard or sail loft can point you in the right direction.

If you are in the S. FL area, I highly recommend Brad Storm. ( I Googled his name and found a list of riggers all around the country)

Remember, all it takes is money!
Old 20-03-2010, 12:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Brown View Post
Remember, all it takes is money!
Exactly, I would like to minimize the cost as much as possible. I also prefer to work on it myself if at all possible. Get more satisfaction out of it and learn a lot in the process.
Old 20-03-2010, 12:45   #7

I cannot recall what it cost to replace the standing rigging on my Hunter 30. All I know is that it was money well spent.

Here's the problem with doing it yourself.

If your measurements come up wrong and something is either too long, or too short for your turnbuckles to handle, you can't just take it apart and try again. Everything is swaged together and it does not come apart. Now if your rigger screws up, he eats the cost of re-doing, not you.
Old 20-03-2010, 14:57   #8

Boat: Pearson 10M
Quote:
Originally Posted by joburnet View Post
I am looking at a 1980 Spirit 23 sailboat and plan to purchase it tomorrow. The only issue that it has that needs immediate attention is the standing rigging. The rigging lines are quite loose and the turnbuckle is closed so that it can't be tightened anymore. Nothing looks to be in danger of breaking and the place where the standing rigging mounts to the deck looks and feels strong.

What should I be looking for and what can I expect to pay to replace all the standing rigging? I am clearly new to sailing as this is my first sailboat.
Hi- Where are you located?

Cheers,

MikeR
Gosling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 15:31   #9

Boat is currently in Summerland Key and I'm moving it to Key West on Monday-Tuesday depending on weather.
Old 20-03-2010, 15:54   #10

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor
I just did the headstay on my 30 ft the head stay was 195.00 with turn buckle.
I would imagine a 23 ft boat would be smaller cable and for sure shorter.
I bough from a local place www.sailingservices.com but you can buy online here too HOME I have never used them for cable.
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 16:43   #11

Joburnet,
Get yourself a rigger, stay glued to him, learning how to do it. The finished job should last at least the next 10 years
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 17:12   #12

Boat: PETERSON 44
that would flag some problems. why are the shrouds slack while at a point of maximum tension?
Is the hull deflecting,chain plates or fasteners failing? not convinced this is merely replace the standing rigging.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 17:44   #13

I've never had a rigger do it directly. Replaced the entire rig once and the standing rigging many times. Take it all and send it to to a rigger. They will duplicate it. The only trick is to mark the turnbuckles at their present, or best, position. Saves the costly labor charge. Works just fine. No measuring needed.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 18:27   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
I second what Sabray said. The wire will not stretch that much over time, so you need to find out why the turnbuckles are bottomed out and the rigging is still slack.

Is the mast stepped on deck or through the deck on top of the keel? If deck stepped I would suspect the deck has sagged. Is there a compression post under the mast? Is it wood?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 18:39   #15

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
There is something seriously wrong. If the turnbuckles are all the way closed, you better hope that someone made that shroud too long in the first place. Otherwise there are structural problems, which means you should walk, whatever the price.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging