Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 03:49   #31

Re: Removing a deck stepped mast on a Catalina 30

If you are at LHM it might be worth a walk to the far west end of the parking lot to the yard full of construction equipment and cranes.

I can't remember the name, but that company builds bridges. Had a buddy who slipped them some dough to pull his mast earlier this year while he was in the water.

I can't read the name of the company in street view on my phone but will figure it out and post it later. Good luck.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 03:57   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlspackler View Post
Why? LHM has no service dept to speak of, so they can't rip me of there, and I hear no complaints from neighbors. All marinas have some sleazy aspects, though I see nothing extraordinary here. this is my third year dealing with them. What experience do you have to share?
Prolly ok on the hard, not sure I would want to keep my boat in their marina after watching them rebuild from Sandy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	68706  
Old 17-10-2013, 10:34   #33

Quote:
I am paid up for the winter. I'm not fueling up, putting in oil, antifreeze and launching to forgo the $$$ I paid up front for the winter season. It's a perfect location, twenty minutes from my work in midtown. I get a LOT of work done on her during the week. Yes Nyack yacht club offers this service for free. I am in Jersey City and I like it that way.

Lets stick to references for people with equipment in the NY metro area.
It occurred to me that instead of offering advice I could offer assistance in the form of an extra set of hands. If you want to give the 2 x 6 thing a try, I'll help you out. I work in JC so no big deal. PM me if interested.
Old 17-10-2013, 19:46   #34

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
It occurred to me that instead of offering advice I could offer assistance in the form of an extra set of hands. If you want to give the 2 x 6 thing a try, I'll help you out. I work in JC so no big deal. PM me if interested.
Thanks, I'd consider a home brew A frame if the boat was in the water. So crane it is. I need to make calls next week to have a more few prices.
carlspackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 11:41   #35

Quote:
Thanks, I'd consider a home brew A frame if the boat was in the water. So crane it is. I need to make calls next week to have a more few prices.
Always happy to lend a hand. BTW, asked my friend about the construction yard down the way. Their crane is on a barge in the canal, so won't do you any good. Good luck!
Old 16-11-2013, 19:08   #36

Well, I did it, and I documented the experience here. Some said it was trivial, and others said it was a complicated procedure. All in all I feel good about my decisions about who to use and how to go about it.
Old 17-11-2013, 08:47   #37

Great that you documented that for all to see! Too bad that boatyard doesnt have a crane. As you said it's often less than 1/2 hour work for the crane. Some places will do $150 round trip.
So do you have to pay again to get the mast back up when you are ready? Wow... that's adding up.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 06:51   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Great that you documented that for all to see! Too bad that boatyard doesnt have a crane. As you said it's often less than 1/2 hour work for the crane. Some places will do $150 round trip.
So do you have to pay again to get the mast back up when you are ready? Wow... that's adding up.
Wow, $150 -- that would cover a good meal for two in the NYC area.

I shouldn't need the crane to get the mast back on. The marina can use the Travelift when I splash her.

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, deck, mast