Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 18:59   #1

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Refurbishing Wench Drums?

Folks-- I just bought an old clunker sailboat with 15 Winches-- DRUMS are completely salty and paint or whatever was originally there is missing.

1) Does anyone have ideas for refinishing the drums to look like new that will last?

2) Are there services out there that do this work?

A heart felt thank you in advance for your help friends...

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 19:31   #2

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Are the drums smooth? If so I'd look into who the manufacturer(s) is/are and call them and ask if they offer the service or who they'd recommend. If smooth they need a process called knurling and then rechromed assuming that they originally. Your local sailmaker or rigger may offer advise if you have someone locally. Shipping 15 winches would be a pretty penny. Make sure you know how to disassemble the winches before you try. Small springs (pawls) can shoot in many directions. I cut a box with a hole cut to go around the winch to collect any fly happy parts.

Hope this helps!
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 19:38   #3

They are all Barient Aluminum drums... 50% are smooth... I am not sure I understand what "Anodizing" does for a winch drum? All I really want is for the drum to "LOOK NICE" because the only edict from the wife was to make this happen... Hell-- she busted A$$ all weekend long working on the boat with me without a peep-- so yeah-- gonna surprise her And get the damn things to 'look pretty'... And if it strengthens the integrity of the Drum in the process-- and makes it even more corrosion resistant -- I am ALL IN!

Skipper T
Old 08-12-2013, 19:39   #4

Do aluminum drums get chromed?

Skipper T
Old 08-12-2013, 19:45   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Alu drums do not get chromed. Anodizing is a process that forms a hard, sometimes colored, coating on the surface of the aluminium. Aluminium anodized are usually able to be found in the yellow pages in most metro areas.
If the drums have lost their grip that may be either shot peened or knurled prior to anodizing.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 20:06   #6

Looking for names of shops that people have USED + CAN VOUCH for quality of Service.

Would be great to find a shop that score the ones that them, then anodize them all... I assume there is some SUPER-SHOP on the East Coast that every one uses that does this work well?

Skipper T
Old 08-12-2013, 22:01   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Refurbishing Wench Drums?

I put aluminum caps over the ends of mine with a rod between to hold them in place and then sandblasted then. I took them to a ceramic coating shop (Racing exhaust) who sprayed and baked them to a nice chrome looking finish. It cost me $450 for the 5 winches and 4 cleats.

Before and after picts.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	retrack2.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	71758   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2982.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	71759  

Old 08-12-2013, 22:12   #8

Delmarry-- those look exactly like my Barient winches... Were these originally Aluminum or Bronze? Or? Also-- were they anodized? If not, what made you decide not to complete this process? I had heard for 25+ year old winches )in my case anyways)- it is a 'recommended' process?

Skipper T
Old 08-12-2013, 22:49   #9

These winches are from 1980 and are a Japanese brand that are no longer made (ROM) They are all aluminum drum and bases wit SS gears.
They were originally coated with a something similar to ceramic but over time of getting beat up it started to peel off once the corrosion got under the coating. I think it was a type powder coating originally.

Here's a close up of a smaller one.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winch1.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	71762  
Old 08-12-2013, 23:00   #10

What is the coating on your winches now? I'm not sure anodize would work on cast aluminum. Anodize is mostly for manufactured/machined parts.

Cast aluminum is porous and retains moisture until it's baked and held in an oven. When cast alum gets hot it gases out it's pores so coatings have to be right by baking first then prep for a coating. When right out of the mold is the best time for coats being fresh w/o moisture or contaminates.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:47   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
What is the coating on your winches now? I'm not sure anodize would work on cast aluminum. Anodize is mostly for manufactured/machined
Your quite right! I hadn't thought of the possibility of a cast winch drum......though in hindsight I think they are.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:10   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

AFAIK, all Aluminium Barient drums were anodized and were certainly cast. No aluminium drums in my experience have been chromed. The current condition of the drums will determine the appearance of the re-anodized finish. If the drums are badly pitted there is no means (that I am aware of) to make "like new", but the color can be restored if not the surface finish.

The sort of place that can help will be a plating shop. I note that your location is shown as "frisco". If that means San Francisco, there will be numerous such establishments in the area. A little google work on your part followed by some telephone calls will locate a shop that can undertake your repairs.

If all else fails, you MAY be able to purchase replacement drums from Arco-Hutton in Sydney, Australia. They own the rights to Barient designs and have a stock of parts for some models... very helpful folks, but the prices are not trivial!

Good luck with the project.

Jim
Old 09-12-2013, 07:30   #13

Boat: contessa 32

Refurbishing wench drums? I've seen some fantastic results ,but use a licensed plastic surgeon. Sailing Anarchy ( that other sailing forum) has some convincing examples.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:35   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Refurbishing wench drums? I've seen some fantastic results ,but use a licensed plastic surgeon. Sailing Anarchy ( that other sailing forum) has some convincing examples.
wench drums , hmm sounds very naughty.

Dave
Old 09-12-2013, 11:23   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I have a local machine shop that does a great job knurling drums, but I haven't asked about refinishing. The machinist is also a sailor, and understands the issues.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote