Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2013, 08:49   #1

Boat: Oyster 435
Reefing with Stackpack

Hi all
We just spent the summer cruising so now its time to repair/replace all the things that broke. One big job on the list is to replace our custom stackpack. We are considering purchasing a "Mackpack" type as we like the idea of having sail bag protection all the way to the mast but I cant sort out how people deal with reefing the tack on these systems. Our current stackpack ended about 2 feet behind the mast so access was never a problem but next year the boat is moving to mexico and I know we will be bad about zipping on that extra piece on (we didn't put it on once in 3 months of sailing). Sun protection seems like a good idea.
Those that have a stackpack that covers the sail all the way forward, let me know how you reef.
Thanks
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 09:21   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Reefing with Stackpack

Hi, ours is home made. The permanent part goes all the way forward. There is a third piece of canvas that wraps the mast and is held on by velcro 2"wide, from port side cover, all round to stbd side. To reef, I just yank some, enough of the velcro from the bottom so i can see the tack, hook it on and pat down the velcro. no part of the cover are attached to the mast at all. The lazy jacks go from the battens to the spreaders, making a wider funnel.
Old 17-09-2013, 10:43   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
My stack pack has the zip off mast flap too, pretty easy to get on and off. If we are anchored somewhere for an extended time I put it back on. The velcro closure sounds like a good idea too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 10:51   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

In my expereince velcro stinks in the sun.
Old 17-09-2013, 11:06   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I've only sailed with stack packs and single line reefing
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 12:33   #6

I have a Mack brand pack, and there are things good, but more bad, about it. The lack of lengthwise battens means the thing bags and sags when not in use. It just could have been a little bit better thought out. And I guess there was a cloth shortage when it was fabbed...

But as far as reefing, as has been mentioned, one just unhooks/snaps the front of the bag from the mast and then reaches in for the clew hook. no biggie
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 18:52   #7

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I have a stack pack and reef at the mast just like I would if I had no stack pack. I have three reefs in my main. What's the problem?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 21:04   #8

Boat: Oyster 435

So from what Im hearing the pack going right to the mast doesn't impede hooking the new tack while reefing too much. Good news. Now I just have to decide if we design a wrap around cover on the front or attach it right to the mast using some common sense fasteners. If I did do a cover I would probably use a zipper on each side vs Velcro.
We have already decided to stick with our existing poles at the top of the cover to attach the lazy jacks to.
Thanks for the comments!
Gary
gpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 06:01   #9
Marine Service Provider

The front snaps allow for compete coverage from uv but also access for reefing and to lower the pack while on long passages. The bottom being open other than 5 buckles allows for reefing lines and drainage so there is no mildew issue and the battens are purposely left out for a reason. If the cover was attached to the battens and lazy jacks you could not let your lazy jacks off and forward to make raising the sail easier without spilling the sail all over the deck. Since the pack is attacked at the topping loft and the mast you also have the ability of a continuous zipper line unlike the stack pack. Like everything in life there are trade offs. A bit of sag on top while sailing versus better uv protection. Easier use and less maintenance I think is a good trade off. See the mack sails web site for the mack pack installation video for a better grasp of what they look like and operate. Good luck.
Macksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 07:30   #10

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

We have a zip closure to the forward section that goes around the mast on our Stackpack. It's very easy to unzip, pull the tack down and secure then zip it back up. It's easy enough that I've never considered removing the forward section.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote